Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Proving - continued

Last night Rick and I continued the discussion about proving stuff. We try and prove things at different times and for different reasons, just like everyone else. We don't claim to have a corner on having this figured out, but it is a good exercise and an interesting discussion. We thought it was a good idea to say occasionally to ourselves:
1. What am I trying to prove?
2. To whom?
3. Why?

The motives for proving things seems to be the sticking point and we wondered if there are "pure" motives and "not pure motives."
For example - Am I trying to prove something to be better than someone else or an I trying to prove something to just say "hey, I exist, please notice me" or am I simply sharing information and others perceive it as trying to prove something?

Annie brought up a good example to illustrate this point - Christmas rants/letters. Her perception is that people are trying to prove they or their children are accomplished because of their successes and she isn't comfortable with that approach, which is totally fine. But what is the motive of the sender? There is probably no way to really know. Is it to prove they are better than others, or is it to just say, "this is what we do" or to share family information that happens to involve mentioning some accomplishments during the course of the year? Some people dislike these types of Christmas letters and some people (like me) enjoy them. I guess the receiver can always just throw them away without even reading them if they don't like them.

But don't we do the same thing in family histories, blogs, letters, emails and such? We tell about our lives, what we enjoy doing, what our interests are, who we are and don't we want to prove to everyone else that we are valuable, interesting people? Isn't this a predominant theme in blogging - hey look at me, I've good a great job, a great life, a great sense of humor, a keen intellect, a great family, darling children, great interests, great ideas - or is it just sharing information? And isn't that OK to do? I enjoy having a glimpse into the life of a family member or friend. As Annie mentioned, the conveyance of information through just talking is past. The art of conversation, discussion and just talking is practically a lost art. Now, we publish/write/text/email/talk on the cell phone and tell what we do and who we are because we often don't take the opportunity to talk face to face and share. This is the age we live in and if you want to participate in the discussion, you have to use the means to convey messages like everyone else uses.

Soooooo, do we sometimes perceive that others are trying to prove something, when really - that isn't their intent? There is really no way to know, but we usually don't give people the benefit of the doubt. Does it come across as BIG ME little you? We may feel like they are bragging or showing off when really, they are just sharing a success or an interest. Maybe this isn't allowed. I was with a friend yesterday who couldn't wait to tell me the latest accomplishment of her missionary son. Was she trying to prove something, or was she just sharing information?
I believe a major part of any discussion or sharing of information, either in person, by email in a blog or otherwise, it to allow other people to have a turn and to tell/show/prove that they have equally valuable interests and accomplishments. Their interests, traditions and accomplishments may be different, but they are just as valuable, cool and interesting and the conversation should allow for a give and take. This is a pet peeve of my mother. She can't stand conversations where one person does all the talking/bragging/telling and never lets the other person have an opportunity to speak. I agree that it's very hard to maintain a close friendship with this type of personality.

Also, is it OK to talk about physical fitness accomplishments, musical accomplishments and not spiritual, social or intellectual accomplishments? We gather around and cheer the physical accomplishments, we sometimes give standing ovations to musical accomplishments, but how do we recognize spiritual, social and intellectual accomplishments? Are any references to being smart or accomplished in the work world considered bragging, but the athletic and artistic accomplishments are considered worthy of praise? Is a spiritually accomplished person considered to be self righteous if they share any of their successes? What is acceptable to share concerning our own accomplishments and creations and the accomplishments of our children, and what is not? Do we sometimes knowingly withhold praise because we are jealous of the accomplishments of someone else, but we crave recognition and praise for our own interests and successes? Can't we join in the celebration of the accomplishments of someone else (or their children) even when they are not the same as our own? An example - I'll cheer/praise your straight A student child who was a science fair winner and you can cheer/encourage my volleyball team winner child (even though you don't have the slightest interest in volleyball - but do have an interest in me and my child.) Isn't give and take part of the equation in supporting and sincerely caring about each other?

These questions could go on and go. Sorry, I've probably gone on too long as it is. I believe that at the base of it all is a question of pride. Is our pride involved in trying to prove ourselves? Are we trying to climb the ladder by stepping on other people to make progress? Do we want recognition for ourselves and our families, but we aren't willing to give it to others?
I remember the talk President Ezra Taft Benson gave almost 20 years ago entitled "Beware of Pride." I recently re-read it. It is a masterpiece and worthy of review. Here are some excerpts:

"Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing.
The central feature of pride is enmity—enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.” It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us. Pride is essentially competitive in nature. We pit our will against God’s. When we direct our pride toward God, it is in the spirit of “my will and not thine be done.” Our will in competition to God’s will allows desires, appetites, and passions to go unbridled.
Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking down at the rest of us. (See 2 Ne. 9:42.) There is, however, a far more common ailment among us—and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous."

7 comments:

Annie said...

Very deep thoughts, Jack Handy!! It all boils down to our individual ability to love one another without criticizing, judging, or condeming. We all see what we want to see. As we all just try to make it in earth life, our focus gets sidetracked by Satan's clever tactics, as you mentioned. I have a copy of President Benson's talk by my bedside and can't read and study it too much. It's GOLD:)

Lindsey said...

Great thoughts to think about. I think it's a funny thing how everybody is so critical of themselves, so hard on themselves and for the most part is very aware of how they fall short to their friend's and family's strengths and talents. And yet in this world of blogging at least, if people try to show an example or highlight areas of strength and skill in their life, then some people think they are boasting and prideful. So pretty much your dam*ed if you do dam*ed if you don't. Although I am greatly amused by Seriously So Blessed, I also think it's sad that being positive and happy about your life has become the source in which jokes are made. Anyway, I'll be pondering on this concept even more than I alreday have. :)

Lindsey said...

Also what a fun trip with the Smiths! I'm jealous. I have yet to do the Timp caves and might move that to one of my goals for this year, but it will come after seeing you. Dear lizzie is my most favorite store in the whole widest world. I have yet to buy something from there, and have only been once, but it is just magic in my heart. Great ideas to copy cat.

Jord said...

Interesting thoughts Mom. I haven't ever given much thought to the idea of proving ourselves. I know I am guilty of doing things so other people will notice/praise/comment/think I am AWESOME or something else, but I don't think that is my intention all the time or in everything I do.

But I will never be able to control how I am perceived by other people, no matter what I do or my intentions are, so I guess we just live our lives and hope for the best and extend to others a greater amount of kindness and understanding in how we perceive their actions or ideas, rather than rushing to judgment or offense.

I am just grateful to know that ultimately, our Heavenly Father is the one who knows "thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart" (D&C 6:16) and that our only real goal in life is to prove ourselves to Him.

VFR said...

I think I'm great and everyone else sucks! Is that wrong? Is that proud? . . .

Seriously, good questions, Vonnie, and good food for thought. It does seem that we all want approval, and acceptance, and to be noticed favorably. Whether our efforts to get recognized are full of pride or not, only the Lord can judge. Interesting post.

Lee said...

What I've come to realize is that I don't have very deep thought too often! I just do what I do every day, and don't take the time to muse on things very much. I love my journal for the outlet it gives me to tell about the accomplishments of my children, because honestly, I don't feel like other people really care. At least they don't ask- with the exception of a few- you and Ricky being one. I find that most people are happy to talk about themselves, but seldom ask about you. And sometimes when they do, I'm uncomfortable to talk about myself for fear of boring them or sounding too braggy- so it's a mixed bag. All very interesting to think about.

Vonnie said...

Annie - Who is Jack Handy? I agree that it boils down to individual choices whether we dwell on the positive or the negative and how we treat each other.
Linny - It is a fine line isn't it? It's kind of scary to say too much about yourself or put your interests out there for fear of criticism and judgement. And you're right, if your life is too "blessed" people generally resent that too. It's a no win situation, but I hope we all just keep sharing and giving each other the benefit of the doubt.
PS - when you come to visit, we'll go to Dear Lizzie and have a cupcake at least.
Jord - you are AWESOME and I know that it isn't your objective to prove it to anyone. You just go about living your life and your life speaks for itself. It's true that only one knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts. Thankfully.
VFR - You are great, but everyone else is too :) I'll be sure to praise you an extra amount when I see you tonight.
Lee - I agree that most people are pretty much just interested in their own stuff and mostly just like to talk about themselves. Isn't that an interesting human characteristic? There are a few notible individuals who don't, but as Rick points out, most people like to hear the sound of their own voice.