A few months ago I read this interesting article in Time magazine. Who knew what a CAPTCHA was? Not me! I knew they were used on many different computer systems (like Blogspot) but I didn't know why. You know those little funny letters that you have to type into the line before it will publish your comment. Now I know why. It was interesting to learn that in a few short years, programmers will come up with a way for computers to sign in using a CAPTCHA. For now, this "human" way to prove our humanity will continue, but not for long. As the article states at the end: It's nice to know that we humans are still good for something. Soon, we'll be obsolete....
Seriously though, it's absolutely mind bogging (not to be confused with blogging) to think about the advancements that has been made in technology since we got married 29 years ago. Just during that time we have included in our daily lives the following: cell phones and all their gizmos and gadgets, computers (PCs and laptops) in every variety that can do more and more programs and move faster and faster, the internet and all it does for good and evil, the ability to do online banking, cable TV, dish TV, free long distance land line telephones, blogging, emailing, palm pilots, blackberries, digital photographs and cameras, flat screen - High def TVs, CDs, DVDs, home printers, FAX machines, scanners. I could go on, but those are the things we use ALL the TIME and don't think anything of it. What are some other technology "things" you use in your work or home life?
2 comments:
I would say that generally, progress is either neutral or bad, and I don't think that cell phones, as one example, have improved our quality of life. People would rather talk on cell phones than talk to live people, and would rather text message than have a live conversation. Something is screwed up about that.
I too am amazed with everything that has been developed/invented since I was in high school. My kids don't believe me that when I was their age, we didn't have a microwave, VCR, cordless phone, computer at home, etc, etc, etc. I would hate to live w/o many of these conveniences- but it does make me crazy that my kids want all the latest and greatest, and a year later, there is a newer better latest and greatest. I respectfully disagree with your honor about cell phones. While it's true that many kids talk/text in place of personally talking, in many cases, you can't beat having a cell phone for those quick calls when you're away from home. I really would hate to live w/o my cell phone.
Post a Comment