
The California Supreme Court recently ruled that same-sex marriage was legal in California. Recognizing the importance of marriage to society, the Church accepted an invitation to participate in ProtectMarriage, a coalition of churches, organizations, and individuals sponsoring a November ballot measure, Proposition 8, that would amend the California state constitution to ensure that only a marriage between a man and a woman would be legally recognized.
This article on the LDS Church web site is very informative and well written. It states the rationale behind the church's stance that supports Proposition 8 that would define what constitutes a marriage. See the additional resources listed on the right side of the article for a more indepth look at the issue. You might even consider donating to the cause by clicking on donations on the "Protect Marriage" web page. Take a look at all the organizations, politicians, churches and foundations that are supporting Proposition 8. This is a very important vote that will have far reaching implications if it is not passed. I wish I lived in CA to vote on this one.
This article on the LDS Church web site is very informative and well written. It states the rationale behind the church's stance that supports Proposition 8 that would define what constitutes a marriage. See the additional resources listed on the right side of the article for a more indepth look at the issue. You might even consider donating to the cause by clicking on donations on the "Protect Marriage" web page. Take a look at all the organizations, politicians, churches and foundations that are supporting Proposition 8. This is a very important vote that will have far reaching implications if it is not passed. I wish I lived in CA to vote on this one.
2 comments:
I wish I could vote too. Let's remember, that even though they think they do, the Supreme Court of whatever jurisdiction was not constitutionally given the power to make law.
That's right, Jord. Judicial restraint, as opposed to judicial activism, is the appropriate response for a court. I'm afraid that the failure of this initiative proposition in California would signal the beginning of the end. I wish I lived in California, too, only for the purpose of voting on this matter.
Post a Comment