In 9th grade I was exposed to the world of William Shakespeare. We studied the play Romeo and Juliet and I was a gonner. I mean, I became completely hooked on the creative work of William. I LOVED reading that first play and learning the strange new language of William Shakespeare. I received an A+ on my final exam in Romeo and Juliet and I was on my way. I can still quote many lines from that play and I can remember most of the names of the characters.

About that same time that I was exposed to that first play, a Romeo and Juliet movie was released in 1968 starring Oliva Hussey and Leonard Whiting. I was smitten with Leonard's good looks and I thought Olivia was the most beautiful Juliet I could have ever imagined. One Saturday I went to the Wilson theater in Rupert and watched the 2:00 show of the movie. Oh, and also the 4:00 show, the 6:00 show, the 8:00 show and finished up with the 10:00 show. All in the same day. Yes, I packed a lunch as I recall and I ate a ton of popcorn. I also cried each time that Romeo and Juliet died so tragically. If only the message boy would have arrived in time, none of it would have happened! I have my own copy of the move and would be happy to watch it with anyone who is interested in feasting on the words of Shakespeare.

When we went to England to visit Mom and David about 8 years ago, we were very very fortunate to visit the birth place of William Shakespeare at Statford-on-Avon and to also visit the beautiful cottage of his wife Anne Hathaway, complete with English gardens. It was a day to always remember.
I'll be forever grateful to W. S. for expanding my imagination and elevating my thinking.
To be or not to be? That is the question.
3 comments:
Shakespeare is tight. I haven't read any of his plays since HS, but always found them compelling
you may be shocked/dismayed/surprised/horrified/ to learn that I have never read a play, seen a play, or watched a movie of William Shakespeare. Hey- my major was Recreation Management OK? I'm sure one day I'll get some refinement in my life. I'm amazed at you watching Romeo and Juliet 4 times straight at the Wilson. Did you plan to do that when you went, or could you just not tear yourself away once you got there? And were you alone, and did you have to pay for each showing?
Shakespeare is great, and the plays at the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City are about as good as it gets. It is wonderful to see good, quality live theater and to hear that brilliant, sometimes stirring, sometimes very witty conversation among the players
Post a Comment