When I got married, I was the lucky recipient of several quilts made by my mother and my grandmothers.
This quilt was made by my mom. She created it herself and made half of the quilt to represent the things that were important to me and the other side represents things that were important to Rick. My side has an Argentine flag (representing my mission field) a girl sewing, a girl cooking and a heart full of love with my name embroidered into a quilt block. Rick's side shows his name, a blue Volkswagen bug (the car he drove) a BYU football player, two BYU graduates (we just graduated the month before our wedding) and a couple by the SLC temple. She also included the Peruvian flag, to represent the country where he served his mission. Isn't it beautiful and so creative? It is all hand quilted and it is used on the bed in Claire's room even now.

The second quilt is made from a sheet that looks like a pieced quilt. It is hand quilted with a dark brown backing and it is used on the bed in Jordan's room.

This beautiful PURPLE quilt is again all hand quilted in an interesting pattern with scalloped edges. We used it on our own bed for years and it is a treasure.

Here's a picture of my talented mother who is standing in from of the needlepoint chair that was made by her mother. She made many quilts for her children when they got married. Isn't she beautiful?

I shared some of these quilts at my Dust Busters gathering last week. Since I had them out, I thought I'd post some pictures of my own treasures.

This darling PURPLE and yellow quilt was hand made by my Grandma Mayme (my dad's mother.) It contains hand embroidered quilt block in colors that are brought out in the trim on the quilt. It is one of my favorite quilts and represents the skill of my wonderful grandmother pictured below. Grandma made lots of afghans, quilt blocks, and baby quilts. Doesn't she look like a wonderful grandmother?

The final quilt is this beauty made by my Grandma Fuhriman. It is made out of satin on the front and back and is intricately quilted in a beautiful pattern. Everyone who sees it comments on the fact that it would have been VERY hard to quilt on satin and to put that much work into one quilt. I love the ivory and hot pink colors and the scalloped edges. She was a sweet and caring grandmother who we all loved.

Here is a picture my Grandma Fuhriman (my mother's mother) who made a similar quilt for each of her grandchildren until her death. She did amazing hand work including tatting, crochet, needlework and embroidery. Many of her talents have become lost arts.

Each one of these quilts holds a special place in my heart. Each quilt conjures up memories of the women who made them. When I got married, I had a trousseau display and these five quilts were prominently displayed, representing the love and shared heritage by the wonderful women in my life who meant so much to me. I'm truly blessed.
9 comments:
Quilt on! I've never seen those last two from your grandmothers - where do you keep them? Quilting definitely is a lost art, too bad.
I've kept them on a quilt stand in my bedroom for many years! Don't you remember? They are works of art.
Awesome! I have got to finish my quilts! I have four unfinished ones! They aren't that nice, as I'm new. Next time you're in Liberty, ask mom to show you the Dick & Jane quilt I made her for Christmas. P.S. I had a dream yesterday that I was quilting in the back of a chinese place, and some man that was dining with his son feel in love with me because of my sweet quilting skills.
Keepsake quilts are the coolest. I'll try not to feel sad that I only have one quilt from mom instead of THREE. . . I never know whether to use them and have them wear out-get dirty, or put them up and keep them in good shape. I've done both with the three I have, and I'm sad that the silky one from G. Fuhriman isn't in the best shape.
Those are neat quilts and made by better women. It is sad quilting isn't in vogue anymore, and that we squander our time with other things instead!
Great quilts made by great people. I have to admit that I knew nothing about quilting until I got ingratiated into the Griffin/Fuhriman family. What great quilters. These are very good quilts, and very wonderful mementos.
I love quilting!
Just surfin' the blogs and found you. I wanted to say Hi and nice Blog
Carolyn
Thanks for the comments everyone. Welcome Carolyn! I hope you find something of interest to you.
Post a Comment