Saturday, September 6, 2008

Happy 75th birthday SCERA










We have a gem in our valley. It's a community center that has been around for 75 years and this last week began the year long anniversary celebration to commemorate it's founding. I serve on the board of directors and it has been a pleasure to be involved over the last four years in our community helping to promote the arts. Last Thursday was the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the renovation of the grand theater and the lobby areas. The pictures show many of the improvements that were made. Thanks to some generous donors (XanGo - a local multi-level health drink company and many other anonymous donors) we were able to completely renovate the building and add a $200,000 sprinkling system to bring the old building up to code. Check out this article from the DNews: SCERA celebrates it's 75th birthday article
SCERA promotes family values and all the movies and live community theater productions are family friendly. There are two theaters in the building where the movies and plays are presented. SCERA also has an outdoor amphitheater where concerts and summer plays are performed. I'm proud to be associated with such a great organization and I've loved getting to know so many wonderful people in our community. Just let me know if you want to attend a play or go to a movie when you come to visit. Happy 75th birthday SCERA !!

4 comments:

Lee said...

Wow! Fancy. Everything looks so nice. I have enjoyed attending a few functions there over the years with you. I think it's great that you're involved in the community.

Annie said...

I remember taking Jamie there to see Lady and the Tramp in 1973. It sure is lovely and a change for the better.

VFR said...

Long live the SCERA, and long live its positive influence in the performing and theatrical arts. It's a great resource in the community. Thanks, Vonnie, for being community-oriented, and for your service on the board of directors of SCERA.

Vonnie said...

Thanks. It is fun to be involved in the community. I think a lot of people have memories of attending a movie or a play at Scera. It's a great organization.