Sunday, September 28, 2008

Belonging to Relief Society

I loved watching the Relief Society broadcast last night with Sydney at our stake center. It always lifts my spirits and makes me proud to be a woman and a member of the greatest organization for women on the earth - Relief Society. I have loved associating with so many wonderful women over the years and of serving together and learning from them. I have learned how to strengthen myself and how to help strengthen my family. I'm so happy that my three daughters have Relief Society in their lives to help them, teach them and be there for them if they need help. It is such a comfort and blessing to know that they have that association with wonderful women where they live. Women who watch out for them and who will help them if they need help. It gives me so much peace to know that the women in Relief Society will be their "mother" when I can't be there to help them.
Here are some quotes from the meeting:

Sister Beck: God has commissioned each member of the organization to increase in faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and to serve the Lord and his children, she said. Noting that early LDS women suffered persecution, loss of their homes, a trek across the Great Plains and the death of many family members, she said it was "the fire of their faith" and testimony, along with a conviction that they were helping build God's kingdom that kept them going.

Strengthening families is a responsibility of all LDS women, not just those who have children of their own. "We have a duty to defend and practice the truths found in 'The Family: a Proclamation to the World."'

Sister Thompson: Relief Society magnifies the talents and faith of each woman through offering the opportunities to bless the lives of others. Women can seek to help "a neighbor who is ill, a child who needs instruction, a teen needing a friend or a family who has lost their income and needs assistance to get back on their feet. "We hear of calamities, storms or personal tragedy in the lives of our sisters everywhere. We need not rush about trying to find things to do or causes to take up."

She said most often the help is needed is "in our own homes, neighborhoods and communities. A kind word of encouragement, a note of thanks, a phone call, a loving smile, a helpful deed and a remind that God loves us is often what is needed most."



Sister Allred: Women who make themselves worthy to attend the temple bring to the Lord "a pure heart and a contrite spirit. Personal worthiness is an essential requirement to enjoy the blessings of the temple."

The covenants we make with the associated ordinances we receive in the temple become our credentials for admission into God's presence ... These covenants elevate us beyond the limits of our own power and perspective, We make covenants to show our devotion to build up the kingdom."

"President Uchtdorf : "our splendid sisters sometimes undervalue their abilities — they focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who they really are."

Realizing there are those who "harbor deep sorrows," wrestle with various fears, or deal with loneliness, he said women who find ways to be creative and to serve others will emulate the Savior.

"Everyone can create. You don't need money, position or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty," he said.




4 comments:

Jord said...

I agree Mom and appreciate knowing that even though I live away from you there are other people I can turn to for help. The RS is fabulous and I've always loved being a part of it. I loved the meeting too and thought it was very inspiring and motivational.

VFR said...

I think Relief Society is wonderful, and I am so grateful for its influence on you, Vonnie, and on our girls and our grandkids. What a great group to belong to!!

tutus n bowties said...

What an amazing night! I was so glad I could have company. Thanks for the invite. I think one of my favorite things about the messages given was that I left feeling a little taller and alot more determind to continue striving to serve others.

Vonnie said...

Jord - I'm so glad you got to see the broadcast and that you have a wonderful group of women to help you along the way.
VFR - Thanks, it has had a tremendous influence. RS rocks.
Syd - It was so fun to go with you! I'm so happy we could share that evening. The messages do fill our cups, don't they?