
Many of you will remember Doris Broadhead. She was our neighbor and friend in the Rupert 5th ward. She was talented in so many ways. Her oldest daughter Celia was my good friend growing up through many, many years. I recently reconnected with her after more than 20 years. It's been a pleasure to chat with her online and through Facebook and I hope to see her soon. She recently sent this email out and I wanted to send it along to all of you faithful readers. Our Grandmother (my mom's mom) was an expert at tatting as well. The picture shows some beautiful tatted pillow cases she made for me when I got married (there're purple of course!) I've never used them and keep them as a special reminder of Grandma F. If you know of anyone who would like to learn this lost art, please check out the link below. Now it is possible to learn by buying the CD and book online. Good for Janette. I wish her lots of luck! Below is the message from Celia.
Hello all,
My sister Janette recently wrote a "how to book" in reference to the lost art of tatting. My mother and grandmother were very talented, and determined to keep the almost lost art of tatting alive. They instilled a love of handwork to all my sisters, but especially Janette. She fell in love with tatting.
A few years back, Janette started to teach tatting at the college in Twin Falls, Idaho, but quickly realized that there was very little instruction collateral to support the class and her efforts to teach. That's when she went to work, and the book and instructional CD came to pass.
When my mother passed away two years ago, Janette had just finished the book and CD and decided to dedicate it to those you taught her this beautiful skill, her mother and grandmother.
The book will soon be in books stores and specialty craft stores. Until then, will you please forward this to your friends and family members who enjoy handwork? I love my sister, and I'm very proud of her accomplishment, and want to help her in any way I can. The web site is:
http://learnhowtotat.com/
Thanks everyone for your help passing this on. I appreciate your support.
Celia
My sister Janette recently wrote a "how to book" in reference to the lost art of tatting. My mother and grandmother were very talented, and determined to keep the almost lost art of tatting alive. They instilled a love of handwork to all my sisters, but especially Janette. She fell in love with tatting.
A few years back, Janette started to teach tatting at the college in Twin Falls, Idaho, but quickly realized that there was very little instruction collateral to support the class and her efforts to teach. That's when she went to work, and the book and instructional CD came to pass.
When my mother passed away two years ago, Janette had just finished the book and CD and decided to dedicate it to those you taught her this beautiful skill, her mother and grandmother.
The book will soon be in books stores and specialty craft stores. Until then, will you please forward this to your friends and family members who enjoy handwork? I love my sister, and I'm very proud of her accomplishment, and want to help her in any way I can. The web site is:
http://learnhowtotat.com/
Thanks everyone for your help passing this on. I appreciate your support.
Celia
5 comments:
What in the devil is tatting? It sounds like tattling, and that's not too popular. Tatting, like ratting, fatting, matting . . . not too interested.
Hi there! I recently happened to come across your blog through my "google alerts" for "tatting"! I am a "tat-o-holic"! LOL! I recently had a giveaway on my blog and I gave away a copy or two of Janette's book to help spread my love for tatting! I had 225 people sign up! The copies went to a lady in England and a lady in California!
Your pillow cases from your grandma are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
I hope you come and visit my blog! You're invited; as is anyone who's interested in tatting! :)
(Hugs)!!
I'm a tatter also...and I have a purple bedroom...(hint) LOL!
You really should use your linens. Even if it's only to mark the advent of Spring or a during a birthday week - they need to be loved in use as well as in admiration. I used to do the same thing, save them back and just admire them, but they were made for me to enjoy. Of course, just admiring them can bring great joy too.
I've seen your friend's book but have not purchased it. I teach tatting and usually take along a collection of several "beginner" books as well as all the online resources. Tatters are a thriving online community and there is a lot there so that whatever one's learning style is, there's a resource. I do plan to get that book eventually.
Thanks for the comments you tatting friends (and VFR.) I appreciate your support and suggestions and I will visit your blogs.
Pretty sure I'm not a tatter....but one never knows. Vonnie, I figured you would know when the exact dates of next years women's conf. woudl be? Is is always the last week in April Wed-Friday?
Post a Comment