Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Is it the chicken or the egg?

I couldn't take it any longer. The sheer agony of pulling those poor little peeps apart and torturing them caused me to give up eating them. Even when done humanely, with anesthesia and bandaging, they still suffered. They were once my favorite Easter candy. Sadly, that is no longer the case. In a final eulogy I give them this shout out - "did you know that everyone's favorite Easter candy is celebrating its 50th anniversary? Marshmallow Peeps -- those little yellow marshmallows shaped like chicks -- are as much a rite of Spring as the Easter bunny and pastel-colored eggs. In fact, Marshmallow Peeps have been the top selling non-chocolate Easter candy brand for the last decade -- even outselling jellybeans. In addition to the yellow chicks, today's Peeps are "Always in Season" and come in all sorts of colors and shapes for holidays throughout the year. In honor of its 50th Anniversary, Just Born -- the company that manufactures Marshmallow Peeps -- is hatching new plans for the candy." Check out this fun web site here.




I've let them run free and escape to safe waters.



I've moved on from these darling little chicks to...




these tasty little eggs. Shocking I know. Vonnie is not a great chocolate lover. There is something about that crunchy outer shell that made me a faithful fan. Cadbury Mini Eggs are unique. There’s nothing else like the Mini Eggs, they’re even oddly shaped, irregular, more like little rounded cones than eggs, they’re just such satisfying shapes. What sets them apart from other chocolate candies at this time of year, first and foremost, is that they contain Cadbury chocolate. Cadbury is rather milky tasting, and certainly very sweet. Then it’s all cloaked in this amazingly odd slightly sanded, matte shell. The shell is crunchy and has a slightly cool feel in the mouth. You can dissolve it away to get to the chocolate centers, or you can crunch the whole thing together for a sweeter burst. The colors are even a little less common. Because of the matte finish the yellow, pink, blue and white morsels look like chunks of colored chalk and even have a slightly chalky feel when you first put them in your mouth.
I also discovered which came first. It was the CHICKEN Peep and it layed those darn good little Cadbury mini -EGGS. Please would someone come and take them away from me? Please????











6 comments:

tutus n bowties said...

I'm a fan of the dark chocolate carbury eggs! Sooo good!

VFR said...

I think the best Easter candy is the malted malt ball eggs. They are very tasty and very fattening both.

Claire said...

RIP, Peeps. You did get me addicted at a young age and I ALWAYS think of you when I see them.

As for Cadbury, I became totally and hopelessly addicted to their chocolate in London, especially since they had Cadbury vending machines in the Tube to tempt us at every turn. As a non-chocolate lover myself, I second the motion that Cadbury is in a league of its own!

Diane said...

Von, I found your blog from Lee's and have LOVED reading about your family. I'm so glad to find a cousin that loves peeps and eggs as much as I do. It better warm up soon, so I can get back on the bike to burn off the extra easter candy fat!

Jamie Jo said...

Oh man! Mini-Eggs are mine and Ryan's FAVORITE!!! We buy bags and hide them from each other in our underwear drawer so we don't have to share. :)

Have you ever tried floating Peeps in your Hot Cocoa? Pretty fun!

Jord said...

I can't believe you don't like peeps anymore...but I agree the mini eggs are the best!