Thursday, April 2, 2009

The casserole chronicles


I got a great laugh from this article in the D News yesterday. Take 10 minutes to read it for the laugh of the day. Also read the comments people sent in, they're pretty amusing. There are some scary things served at the dinner table in some homes.

What memories do you have of "hated" casseroles served when you were growing up? Which ones do you serve that your kids love or hate?

I don't remember our mom serving too many things that I didn't like (other than Brewer's yeast at breakfast.) Somehow I just got in the habit of eating whatever was prepared. To this day there aren't any foods that I don't like. I'll try anything once.

Not true at our home. Our kids had their different likes and dislikes. Claire was the most finicky with Andy coming in second. Jord and Dave were pretty good eaters. Claire would sometimes eat cereal for dinner because she didn't like what was being served. Mostly the kids didn't like anything with cooked tomatoes in it, especially soups with stewed tomatoes. Not gonna happen.

We all love Hawaiian Haystacks, although the article points out that this dish really isn't a casserole. I also make shepherd's pie with left-over mashed potatoes, broccoli and chicken casserole, Spanish rice, enchiladas and taco casserole to name a few as I recall. What memories do you have of good or bad casseroles?

4 comments:

tutus n bowties said...

My mom use to make the casserole with the tatter tots and green beans and I loved it because that was about the only time tots were part of our dinner. I probably haven't had that for ten years! I like to make shepherds pie and this really fine Mexican dish.

VFR said...

There has only been a very occasional casserole that I have not liked, and I can't remember the last one I didn't quite like. The article is good, though. We appreciate the reference.

Jamie Jo said...

I LOVE casserole. My Grandma Skeen taught me how to make tuna cass the day Lindsey was born, and it is my signature dish now. I've made a few changes that I think perfect it. It's so quick and easy, because I don't even bake it. My kids love it, unless I make it too often.

Cook and drain a bag of noodles. While you are waiting for the noodles to cook, in a micro safe bowl add 1-2 cans tuna, 1 can green beans, 1-2 cans cream of chicken soup, some chopped celery, and some cheese. Season to taste. Micro on High for five minutes. Stir in noodles when they're done. The end. Hmm. I wonder if I have those ingredients on hand?

Claire said...

Oh please like anyone could be THAT picky. Actually I do remember abstaining from red soup, broccoli soup, and other various things in favor of a hearty bowl of Lucky Charms (which I have a box of in my cupboard as we speak).