
- 9 credit hours of Chemistry in preparation for the food science classes (organic and inorganic chemistry) teaching why good nutrition matters chemically to our bodies
a major that consisted of four minors in:
- 13 credit hours in Child Development & Family Relations - classes in child development, achieving success in marriage, family relationships, early childhood education
- 12 credits in Clothing and Textiles - classes in flat pattern design and construction, general textiles, selection and care of clothing, tailoring (I made a coat and two wool suits that I took on my mission and I still have them) & children's clothing
- 12 credits in Food Science and Nutrition - classes in basic human nutrition, meal management, and the science of food (no food prep classes were included, sadly)
- 12 credits in Family Resource Management - classes in household equipment, principles of home management, family money management and family residence management and entertaining (do any of you remember when I lived in the "management house" the semester we got engaged and we had our families meet there for the first time?)
I also had classes in interior design & home health care and nursing for my major, along with 28 credits of secondary education (including student teaching at Lakeridge junior high and Orem High school) learning how to teach the information I learned in the classes above.
In my general education classes I took: Art history, English composition and reading, voice diction and interpretation, American Heritage, Animal Biology, English exposition and writing, microbiology, political science - current affairs, 11 credits of Spanish, 12 credits of religion, and my four PE classes were team handball, tennis, bowling and an ill-fated skiing class (but I did get B+ in it, even if I did break my leg. My teacher really should have given me an A, considering....)
I received a wonderful and useful education. In fact, I think I use the knowledge, practices and information I gained through my education every day of my life. I value my training for it's practical application, as well as knowing that I could support myself and my family some day if I ever needed to do that because of my teaching credentials. Higher education produces so many positive results and applications for life. My education in Home Economics is something I highly value. The major still exists, but now it is called Family and Consumer Sciences and the class load has been cut down dramatically, so that a students can now complete it in four years instead of five. I truly believe that the major helps teach and train people to improve their lives, the lives of their families, and their communities. It's a major that has valuable daily application in keeping families strong, functioning and contributing to society.
4 comments:
Great defense of your major, Vonnie. It has served our family very, very well, and you did a lot of work, both practical and in the books. Your abilities to manage home and family are legendary. While some of the ability is innate, much also came through your college training. Just one thing - why dis the English major? It was not a bad major, either.
I don't know what person would have questioned your major! Did they not remember the sweet orange jogging suits we had as youth? I think your major applies much more to everyday life than most and am glad you did it.
If you're being questioned about HEE being a "light-weight" major, what must people say about mine- Recreation Management??? It's fine- I don't care- my only requirement in picking a major was no math or science. Why did I need those in my life of being a homemaker I ask you? And who else do you know who has a two page list of game ideas???
Since it wasn't Claire or me ragging on your major...there is only one accessible child left! Shame on him, the beneficiary of all your training. :) I'm surprised you could remember all of the classes you took and the major requirements. I think I forgot mine the day I graduated.
Post a Comment