Sunday, November 2, 2008

Oakley rock quarry


I got to go to Rupert his weekend and visit my sister Janet and her husband Dave. I went by myself and had a great time listening to a book on tape while driving. I got to Rupert about 6:00 pm on October 31, just as the little grand kids came trick-or-treating. It was so fun to see them dressed up and excited to visit Grandma Janet and Grandpa Dave. Grandma Janet had frosted sugar cookies all ready for the little tykes.

After a good meal and some visiting, we settled in to watch Disturbia. Yikes. I had a hard time falling asleep, but didn't want to pass up the chance to see a thriller on Halloween night.



The next morning, Jan and I went on a long walk all around the streets of the sprawling metropolis of Rupert. It's always great to see our childhood home, elementary school, library, town square, movie theater and LDS stake center. SO many memories come flooding back. I always feel like I'm going into a time machine when I visit Rupert. Here is a post I did a few months ago giving a shout out to good old Rupert. When we went to church on Sunday, the man at the door who greeted us said to me, "welcome to God's country." I told him a totally agreed with that statement.







We met Cameron's family at the Searle cafe in Oakley for lunch. Our cousin Scott brought his new girlfriend Carol for an adventure to the Oakley rock quarries. Baily and Brody tended the younger Smith grand kids and Nick and Tina, Dustin and DaeLyn came along with us for a great adventure to the quarries.








Four wheel drive was a
requirement! We went to two sites that Cam started mining this year. He got his own business underway this year and it is going well. It's amazing to see how they take the rock out of the mountain. Once it is dug out, a crew of Mexicans come along and pick up the pieces and chisel them into the right size and shape so that the beautiful rock pieces can be used for patios, indoor flooring or many other uses. The Mexican crews stay about six months and it is so interesting to learn about how they quarry the rock and get it ready to be shipped out.





























Here is a picture of Oakley in the distance with an area of rock that hasn't been dug out of the ground yet.














This is what it looks like once it's been dug out and chipped into the right shape and thickness so that it can be loaded on pallets for shipment. There were hundreds of pallets ready to be shipped to buyers all over the world. It was even used by Frank Lloyd Wright in/on one of his buildings.














Our crew enjoying the tour.



















Scott and his darling girlfriend Carol. She was wonderful and it was so nice to meet her. I hope we get to see more of her in the future!














Dave and his sons have enjoyed hunting season again this year. Dave grew his beard until Sunday morning, when he shaved it off. He grows it to celebrate the annual hunt.

























































Dustin and Dae.














Scott and I. I think he enjoyed the day a lot.















Scott and Carol. He is from Malad and she owns her own tent sewing business and a farm.














Nick, Tina and Hendricks.
















On the way home from the quarries, we went through the City of Rocks. I haven't been there for at least 30 years. It was very cool! I've seen enough rocks to last for awhile now. It was an interesting day and very fun to talk to the Smiths while driving around. We came cross two rigs that were broken down and in both cases, the men in our car where able to stop and help them get going again. Cam is funny, very generous and he was a very good host. It was fun to see their home and get the grand tour from Marnie. They have a busy and multi-talented family.



After the day of learning about how to quarry Oakley stone, we went to a great little restaurant in Heyburn to have a soup bowl with great cheesy soup. I also talked to Rick and learned that the Cougars had somehow pulled off a last minute win. We then went to Dustin and Dae's home to have the tour of their new beautiful home. It's wonderful! Little McKynlee was adorable.

Sunday we went to church, visited over breakfast for lunch after church and just had a good time. Jan showed me a new pie crust recipe and I'm excited to use it. You make 20 pie crusts at once and freeze them so they are ready when you need them. I should have taken pictures of her making the crust for my blog! I love visiting Janet and Dave and I appreciate their hospitality and the love they always show me. It was a great weekend!

4 comments:

Lee said...

Wow- what a post! It was very interesting to see the quarry and learn more about it. Cool! I'm glad you had a fun weekend.

tutus n bowties said...

FUN!! I'm so sad I wasn't there. What was I thinking! Always say yes to a trip to Rupert. The quarry is a must for all to see.

VFR said...

These are cool pictures, and your gave a good description of the quarry and of what goes on there. A picture is worth many words, as they say. Thanks to the Smiths for receiving you so well, and it's great you had such a good time.

Jord said...

What a fun trip Mom! I loved the rock quarry and am intrigued by how they go about the process. I'm glad you got in good visiting with all of the family. It makes me want to go to Rupert again soon.