Thursday, October 2, 2008

SCERA summer shell season review









I just got these pictures yesterday at our board meeting from a couple of the concerts we went to at the SCERA shell this summer. We get to attend the VIP dinner and "meet and greet" before the concert and have our picture taken with the stars. I thought I'd give them a review and grade each concert or play. (Rick do you agree with the grades I gave?) Is was a very good season overall and we enjoyed ourselves. We have learned that if a group is TOO old (like the Association last year) that their voices are shot and they should hang it up. Or if their lead singer (Three Dog Night) isn't with them anymore, they should also stop touring. All things considered, it was a fun year and we loved going to ABBA the day after we saw Mama Mia. We were rocking in our seats and I think even Dave and Courtney enjoyed themselves. With no further adieu, here is my review....
LITTLE RIVER BAND - Memorial Day May 26 GRADE - B+
One of the best live bands in the world, Australia-born Little
River Band’s fusion of spontaneity, classic rock ‘n roll and blues
combined with their 8 Top Ten U.S. hits including Reminiscing,
Lonesome Loser, Cool Change, Lady and Take It Easy On Me
has given the group record sales eclipsing the 25 million mark
and an enduring appeal that has withstood the test of time.

THE KING & I GRADE - B
East versus West in 1862 makes for
a dramatic and ultimately uplifting
tale when Anna, a strong-willed
English widow, arrives at Bangkok’s
Royal Palace to serve as tutor to the King’s many wives and
children. Considered a barbarian by outsiders, the King seeks
Anna's help in changing his image, and with both keeping a firm
grip on their traditions and values, Anna and the King grow to
understand and respect one another, in a truly unique love
story. Directed by Howard & Kathryn Little.

JORDIN SPARKS – June 25 Grade - incomplete
(to be given by Sydney since we were out of town and couldn't go and she and her friends used our tickets)
The winner of last year’s American
Idol, Jordin Sparks was the youngest
winner in the TV vocal competition’s
six seasons! Full of class, confidence,
contagious enthusiasm and a
breathtaking range of vocal power
and emotion, Jordin is at the epicenter of the entertainment
world, with a critically-acclaimed 5-star debut album and charttopping
pop singles including This Is My Now, Tattoo and No
Air. With her big-voice, acoustic guitar and cool vibe, Jordin
brings her own “spark” to the concert stage!

FOOTLOOSE: THE MUSICAL - Grade C+
The movie musical explodes onto the live
stage! When Ren and his mother move
from the big city to a small town, Ren
fights a ban on dancing from a preacher
determined to control the town’s young
people. When the reverend's rebellious
daughter sets her sights on Ren, her
father, the locals and the new kid clash as they struggle to
understand each other. To the rockin' rhythm of its Oscar nominated
Top 40 musical score, Footloose is an 80’s musical
sensation! Directed by Neal Johnson.

ABBA LIVE! - Pioneer Day July 24 - Grade A
(upped to a solid A on Courtney's recommendation. I agree!)
Direct from Sweden, the tribute group
Arrival is the best touring ABBA show
in the world, with exclusive rights to
exactly re-create ABBA’s costumes,
music and staging! It’s an Abbasolutely
spectacular night of entertainment, with a live band and
vocalists who have mastered the sound of ABBA so perfectly, a
test on Swedish national radio fooled even the biggest fans. It’s
a Pioneer Day pop music party featuring hits Mama Mia,
Dancing Queen and all your 70’s favorites!
World premiere!

PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Grade - B
(grade given by Ann and T, who saw the play at Ed Wk)
A new musical based on the beloved Jane Austen novel!
Obsessed with marrying off her five daughter, Mrs. Bennet’s
relentless matchmaking causes all sorts of affections, aversions
and shenanigans with pompous Mr. Collins, wealthy bachelor
Mr. Bingley, villainous Mr. Wickham and dashing and aloof Mr.
Darcy’s tempestuous relationship with headstrong Elizabeth.
Directed by Jerry Elison and Robert Barham.

UTAH SYMPHONY - August 18 Grade - A
The Utah Symphony under the stars with light classical and pop
favorites conducted by David Cho. One of the world’s most
renowned orchestras will fill the night air with “Heroes in
Music,” including Bizet’s Carmen, music from Star Wars, Sousa
marches, Brahm’s Hungarian Dance, plus composers Wagner,
Puccini, Copland and Strauss.

BOYZ II MEN - August 28 Grade - B+
Four-time Grammy winners
and #1 R&B vocal group of all
time, BIIM’s style has been
described as hip-hop doo wop
mixed with a little a’cappella
and a lotta soul. With their smooth trademark harmonies,
synchronized dance routines and huge hits like End of the Road,
I’ll Make Love to You, On Bended Knee, One Sweet Day and
more, BIIM will also kick the chords with classic Motown tunes
from their hot new Motown tribute album.

THREE DOG NIGHT - Labor Day Sept. 1 Grade C-
(Their voices aren't so good anymore. Great music, average singing. Sad.)
Celebrate SCERA’s 75th Birthday with great music and lots of
surprises! TDN’s dynamic live shows are an explosion of
instantly familiar tunes, including 14 Top Ten hits and three #1
singles: Joy to the World, Mama Told Me Not to Come, One,
Black and White, Shambala and so many more! Impeccable
harmonies bring back the memories and the magic that’s
defined TDN’s success for the last 35 years!

5 comments:

Annie said...

I'll give the play a B. I don't enjoy 'cultural events' as much as T so he might go higher!

VFR said...

Thanks for the reviews, Vonnie. The SCERA does a great job, but should get more current pop/rock groups than those from 25 to 30 years ago. I think the SCERA board (you, in particular) is fabulous. It's nice that they and their families get comped for the events, too.

Courtney said...

I agree, with the ABBA vote. Except for I might even give it a higher grade though, I had a blast! I really like ABBA and I think Arrival did a good job with their music. I'm all about the spontaneous, random, sing your guts out good time and that's waht I did. Thanks for letting us come!

Vonnie said...

Thanks for your input Annie and Countney. An as always VFR, it's a pleasure to have your faithful support!

Jord said...

Good shout out to the Scera. It is a fun place and if nothing else nice to enjoy the arts outside in good weather.