Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bottled Salsa



































































































Hal's Salsa Recipe
36 large tomatoes (approximately 1/4 bushel)
6 large onions
6 large Bell peppers
1 entire garlic pod
3 Anaheim peppers
12 jalapeno peppers
1 bunch cilantro

1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
6 TB salt

Chop all vegetables (except for the tomatoes) into fine pieces. Blanch tomatoes in hot water and remove skins. Chop tomatoes into fine pieces. Add vinegar, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and slow cook for 30 minutes. Pour into bottles and steam or cold pack for 40 minutes. Enjoy throughout the winter! (Special thanks to Marie and Randy for sharing their fresh garden produce with us.)

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Why is it that things like this always seem overwhelming until you just jump right in and try it! I loved that "every woman should have poem". THere were some good insights in that. btw I was on the phone for over an hour with the Marathon research man. He probably thinks I'm crazy with all the background of the kids going to and fro and me making dinner while he talked, but I hope he got something that helped in what he needed!

Jord said...

I can't wait to try it myself! Delicious.

Lee said...

I can testify that it is delicious. Thanks for sending us home with some! I love homemade salsa, but I hate the mess and what it does to my stove more- so I was happy to get some from you. Now it's back to store bought :(

Vonnie said...

Stacey - Thanks for talking to the research guy about running marathons and the family support that is required. I'm sure he got what he needed.
Jord - it's on the way
Leemo - go for some fresh while the ingredients are still available! Do you have a salsa maker?

VFR said...

Thanks for your efforts, Vonnie, and to Randy and Marie for the ingredients. Also, some small thanks to the kitchen help which assisted with the project, as well. I can testify that the salsa is wonderful, and beats store-bought, hands down.