Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tis the season for...Messiah


I know I mentioned this last year, but I just love starting the Christmas season by listening to a performance of Messiah. It moves me. It speaks to my soul and it always reminds me what this time of year is all about. Sunday night we attended the annual performance again at Abravanel Hall with the Utah Symphony and chorus. Even though I fall short so often, remembering Christ, his life and atonement makes me want to keep trying to be a better person. This is what listening to Messiah does to me. It speaks to my spirit and encourages me to be better and to remember Him more fully by utilizing his sacrifice in my own life. With His stripes, we are healed, if we allow His sacrifice in to bless our lives.
A number of years ago, I wrote down all the lyrics to the music. The lyrics come from scriptures in the Old and New Testament. They tell the story of Christ's life in three parts:
Part I - the prophecy and realization of God's plan to redeem mankind by the coming of the Messiah
Part II - the accomplishment of redemption by the sacrifice of Jesus
Part III - a hymn of Thanksgiving for the final overthrow of death

Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, and hath redeemed us to God by His blood, to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. Blessing and honour, glory and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, for ever and ever. Amen.
(Revelation 5 : 12-13)



2 comments:

VFR said...

Hallelujah - for the Lord God Omnipotent - and for His kingdom. Worthy is the Lamb. Thanks, Vonnie, for your blog on this, the greatest collection of music of all time.

Jord said...

That is a great tradition and I love the Messiah too.