
We've been going to the annual Kurt Bestor Christmas concert on and off over the last 20 years. We haven't gone for a few years, but we attended the afternoon performance at Abravanel Hall in SLC today. It was wonderful. I really enjoy the quality music performed by Kurt Bestor and his band/orchestra. He has such a unique style and sound and I love his original arrangements of so many Christmas favorites. He composes, produces, plays the piano beautifully, plays the trumpet, harmonica and accordion. He's an impressive performer who puts on a very enjoyable Christmas concert.
"Bestor may be the creative genius behind and the conductor of the trip, but he surrounded himself with a stellar group of musicians to carry it along. Special guest Jonathan Butler of South Africa was delightful as he got down with "Little Drummer Boy" and captured the power and emotion of "O Holy Night." Erika Bestor showed both grace and maturity as she performed with her father on a beautiful "I'll Be Home for Christmas."
Eric Valentine proved he can play the drums in his sleep (or at least blindfolded); Carlitos del Puerto, Michael Dowdle, Todd Sorenson and Aaron Ashton all demonstrated exceptional technique and excitement. The orchestra was equally good.
Magical, color-changing Christmas trees provided wonderful scenery for the ride. And all these musical journeys ended in the same place: the heart of Christmas." D News.
"Bestor may be the creative genius behind and the conductor of the trip, but he surrounded himself with a stellar group of musicians to carry it along. Special guest Jonathan Butler of South Africa was delightful as he got down with "Little Drummer Boy" and captured the power and emotion of "O Holy Night." Erika Bestor showed both grace and maturity as she performed with her father on a beautiful "I'll Be Home for Christmas."
Eric Valentine proved he can play the drums in his sleep (or at least blindfolded); Carlitos del Puerto, Michael Dowdle, Todd Sorenson and Aaron Ashton all demonstrated exceptional technique and excitement. The orchestra was equally good.
Magical, color-changing Christmas trees provided wonderful scenery for the ride. And all these musical journeys ended in the same place: the heart of Christmas." D News.
2 comments:
I love Christmas concerts. We're going to our one and only this season on Saturday- Craig Jessops American Festival chorus. Should be great. Sorry, but it makes me feel better knowing others are losing sleep because of Christmas :) No, I don't take any sleeping aids. Do you? I think because I stay in bed at least an hour before getting up that that hour kinda counts as sleep?
It was a good show, and the style of the music was enjoyable, too. Thanks for the post, Vonnie.
Post a Comment