Monday, December 21, 2009

Til the season to...eat unusual things



I love to eat all the food items that come along at Christmas time. There are several food items that we don't really eat much of the rest of the year. Such as:
  • shrimp and cocktail sauce - Someone gave Rick a platter at work today and I've eaten almost all of it myself, over three days. I guess they didn't know he doesn't do fish...
  • pomegranates - I LOVE eating these amazing fruits during the winter months. check out this web site. Wow.
  • pistachios - another Christmas favorite
  • cinnamon Santas (instead of cinnamon bears) somehow they just taste better
  • wassail - I've already mentioned my love of all hot drinks
  • eggnog - I love one or two cups a season, again not a favorite of my husband
  • fresh cranberry salad to go with Christmas eve dinner - my sister Mary Ann gave me this recipe when I got married and I think I've been making it every Christmas since then. Yummy!
  • Grandma Mayme's molasses cookies. Need I say more?
  • prime rib with horseradish - since it costs as much as a small home, we don't indulge except at Christmas time
  • a case of fresh oranges - I hope we get some from AZ again this year - hint, hint.
  • pineapple cheese ball - one year a neighbor friend gave us this cheese ball and it's been a favorite since then
  • warm broccoli, mushroom and cheese dip - a recipe of my brother Gary that we love to eat as an appetizer on Christmas eve.
  • snowflake pudding - a pure white concoction made by Rick's mom of coconut pudding with raspberry sauce. It's heaven. It looks beautiful on the plate and it tastes wonderful
  • fresh fruit cocktail in 7-up and blueberry muffins on Christmas morning. This is a menu creation of my Mom many years ago. We added breakfast casserole to it to make it a filling brunch after opening gifts on Christmas morning.
Bring it on! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

1 comment:

VFR said...

Christmas season does bring wonderful food. Bring it on, except for the shrimp and eggnog.