We've had long ongoing relationship with these good women who are single. Rick has been the home teacher of Linda (standing next to him) for around 12 or so years. He has mowed her lawn weekly in the summer and shoveled the snow from her sidewalks in winter during all of those years. Each of our boys went with him to home teach when they were in the Aaronic priesthood, but now I'm his companion and I get to go with him to visit Linda. Marie was my secretary when I was the Relief Society president. I love this woman! She and Linda are good friends, so we invited them over for dinner tonight. Linda is an expert family historian, and she got us signed up on the new Family Search system on the Internet for doing genealogy work. Wow, what a program. We're excited to get going to learn more about this new tool for searching out our ancestors, and Linda is the go-to person who will help us.
Rick's brother Doug and two of his daughters (Hannah and Kate) came for a sleep over one weekend. They attended a BYU basketball game with Rick and then they went with us to the MTC the next day for church. They enjoyed going to our Spanish sacrament meeting and then eating lunch with the missionaries in the cafeteria afterward. Sister Harriet Uchtdorf was the teacher in Relief Society and Kate had the opportunity to go with me to that meeting. I love Sister Uchtdorf. She has a darling personality and she gave a powerful message to the sister missionaries.
Madison and Makayla came to visit us for two days last week. We enjoyed their visit and it was good to talk with Madison and to get to know cute little Makayla. Unfortunately Rick backed into Madison's car when pulling out of the drive way, but that misfortune turned into a blessing when our insurance company paid for the repairs within 48 hours by giving Madison a check to match the estimated repairs.Sydney came over to hang out with us and we enjoyed a dinner of home made tacos one evening. I love my nieces and I love spending time with them when ever I can. I hope they know how much I love them both.


Another Sunday, we were able to have eight returned missionaries who served in Mongolia come to dinner. It was so wonderful to have them tell us about the missionary efforts in that great land and to also tell us some funny stories about Elder Andy. They ate a ton of food and it was satisfying to load them up with a good meal right before they headed into finals at BYU. They are great young men who served well and who are now getting on with their lives. It's an honor to rub shoulders with them.
Coming to town soon? Just let me know and I'll whip up some food. Come on over and eat and visit. Bon appetite!
4 comments:
Wow, you are the hostess with the mostess. I want to be like you. I'm rising to the occasion with inviting several families over already for FHE and dessert. I know it's not the full blown dinner....but lots of little kids?? I'll wait till they're a bit older for the full course meal! Happy holidays. Thanks for the card.
You are truly amazing. You are probably the most gracious hostess I know. Have a wonderful week w/ your entire family there- minus, of course Andy. But talking to him on Christmas day counts for something, doesn't it?
The one friend of Andy's was in JR's aunt and uncle's mission. They will be the last mission president of Harrisburg since the mission has been closed.
Last night we had our missionaries over. One of them is waiting for his paperwork to come through to go to Mongolia. He told us a little about what he knew about Mongolia and even prayed for us so he wouldn't lose what he has learned in the MTC.
You are a great hostess, Vonnie. We've all been the recipients of your kindness and generosity. Thank you very much.
Post a Comment