One of the best parts of this season is the chance to do some good. I love to hear ideas of what people come up with to help others. The people I know are ingenious in thinking of wonderful ways to serve, to bless, to care for and to give. Recently our missionary wrote the following:
-->"I have said it once and will say it again, where much is given much is required. We all have been given a lot and much is required of us. I know that’s true, maybe one of the biggest tests we will face in life. You got to give it all up to get it all in the end. Anyway I have just been thinking a lot about this and am going to try to help out Turuu and all the rest of my comps and friends here as best I can. If I don’t I just won’t feel right about myself. Anyway I love you all and would just ask you all to give this Christmas season. Give whatever you feel you need to give. Give whatever you have been prompted to give. Give your time, your comfort, your provisions, your heart, your ears. People will and do receive blessings from God but so many times something is required of us to help other people receive those blessings. A lot of people ask themselves where it all ends, but I think most of the time we need to ask ourselves where it starts."
It isn't about money. Sometimes it makes a bigger impact if giving involves time spent with another person or service given such as offering a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. Sometimes it takes some planning and thought and sometimes it can be a family activity that children will remember long after their gifts are forgotten. I just think we need to make a conscious effort to reach out. It feels so good to be of service and it is so needed in the world. It's the anecdote for sad feelings on both sides of the equation.
Elder Andy continues:
-->"Well my companion (Mongolian) is almost done with his mission. He gets done on Dec. 13th. He is worried about life and has been down somewhat. I have just been trying to be here for him and listen to him. It is interesting and really humbling hearing sometimes what these humble Elders and Sisters have to say. My comp has no work, no school, no family, no food, no clothes, to go home to. He gets off and goes back to living life day by day. He is good though. Things will turn out. They have to. It’s going to be hard for him though. It is interesting that the best life these Mongolian Elders and Sisters live is on their missions. They have food, a warm house, clothes. It’s ironic that normal life here is about the hardest life we as Americans could imagine. We are so lucky and spoiled and yeah I just better not start. It’s not like I am not overwhelmingly thankful for my blessings. It’s just that I don’t feel like I deserve them."
The pictures show the work they did on his companion's home in the summer so that he would have a roof over his head when he got home from his mission.
In addition to some giving and service we will do locally, we plan to send some money to help this Elder who has no parents or other means of financial support. Join us if you feel so inclined or look for your own ways to give.
1 comment:
Great suggestion, Vonnie,to give our time, and means, and whatever else we can this Christmas.
vfr
Post a Comment