Monday, September 21, 2009

Sold on soy




I'm sitting here eating a snack...a soy bean snack. Crazy, huh? A few weeks ago while we were visiting some of our neighbors, they went out into their gorgeous garden and pick some fresh soy beans and brought them in, steamed them and served them to us. I was skeptical. Now I'm sold. They were delicious!
When I was in AZ a few weeks ago, I noticed soy beans on the menu in the Asian restaurant we went to. I ordered them as an appetizer. I was sitting by little Ellie my granddaughter who is almost 2. She ate them up, one right after the other and asked for more.
So, I bought a box at Costco when I got home. They are found in the frozen food area by the frozen veggies. It cost $6 something for a huge box with 12 bags inside. That works out to be about 60 cents a bag or so. They are loaded with nutrition and you will find the box that says Edamame in the frozen food section. Edamame is a soybean that can be eaten fresh or frozen and is best known as a snack with a nutritional punch. Soy beans are picked before drying out and boiled (or microwaved) in water for a few minutes. The pods are soft and the bean can be removed by pulling through the teeth and lips. This is an ideal nutritious snack, far superior to junk food. Try them, you may like them. The cooked beans are frozen in their pods and can be heated up in 3 minutes. Just toss the heated beans with a little butter, some fresh ground salt and pepper and enjoy! The Chinese have been using soy beans for about 5000 years. How come I didn't know about this nutritious, high protein, low calorie snack food? Did you?

Nutritional Informaiont per 100 Grams Edible Portion
Calories 125.0
Protein 12.1
Carbohydrates 13.1
Fat 3.6
Ash 1.7
Calcium 9.3
Phosphorus 180.0
Iron 2.7
Sodium 5.0
Vitamin A 130.0
Vitamin U1 0.31
Vitamin C 40.0

3 comments:

VFR said...

I just ate some soybeans, and loved them. Thanks, Vonnie, for the information on such a good food.

Annie said...

Good tip, sissy. I'll get some when I get home. Happy birthday to the elder!

Claire said...

My coworkers introduced me to these. They are yum.