

Click to enlarge these pictures to read the amount of food consumed each week on a cruise ship.
Some of my favorites:
110 to 115 TONS of food is delivered to the ship before sailing
500 lbs of fish prepared daily
1,200 lbs of chicken and1,200 lbs of beef - daily
28 gals on mayonnaise used daily (sick!)
60 gals of ice cream prepared daily
200 cakes and pies served daily
350 lbs butter used daily (now we're talking)
2,000 lbs of fresh fruit served daily
Amount of serving dishes washed daily - 60,000 - glasses 20,000
62 men work continuously throughout all the ship's galleys pre-washing, sorting and feeding a constant stream of china, glasses, silver, pots and pans into the dish washing machines (poor guys)
It's a well known fact that you are well feed on a cruise, right? Food is available pretty much 24/7. We didn't know this when we went on our first cruise. Now we board the ship and head for the food. Pizza is available almost always and room service is available free of charge. You can also request a fresh fruit bowl for your room, if only you were hungry enough to eat it. You can be served breakfast, lunch and dinner by waiters or you can go to the buffet and choose whatever you want for yourself. If you are going on a shore excursion, they provide wrapped sandwiches, fruit and cookies to pack a lunch. There's Italian night, American night, Captain's night, among other themed nights. There's unlimited ice cream cones, hot chocolate, milk, OJ, apple juice and lemonade. Soda pop costs extra.
We had some serious fresh sea food. They could have been fishing from the boat for all I know. Pictured below was the seafood buffet served on the deck of the ship while we cruised through the glaciers. Rick took a pass, but I'll try anything once. I credit my mother for this. She didn't raise any wimpy or terribly picky eaters (as far as I know.) I especially LOVE seafood. Love, love it. Throughout the cruise I had my fill of salmon, crab legs, halibut, shrimp, prawns, lobster and clam chowder. I tried caviar and sushi, although they aren't my favorite taste (too salty.) The breads, rolls, desserts, soups and salads were divine throughout the week.
All this and I ONLY put on 4 pounds. Trust me, it could have been much, much worse.



2 comments:
The food is one of the best parts of a cruise. I'm amazed that they can produce so much food all of the time for so many people.
I think I only ate one ton of food, so where did all the rest of it go? Who eats it all?
Post a Comment