


I have great admiration for people who choose to do hard things and follow their beliefs. I admire people who put their own desires and needs aside for the good of others or for a cause greater than themselves. Today we celebrate the Mormon pioneers who first entered the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847. Over the next 22 years, 70,000 pioneers crossed the plains and settled in a new area where they hoped to be free from religious persecution. Our own ancestors were among them. As a 5th generation Latter-day Saint, my life is better because of the sacrifices made by my ancestors. I salute them and pay tribute to them for the sacrifices they made.
We human beings are fascinated by journeys. Perhaps that's because we see our lives as a quest. Each morning we rise, rinse off and set out for a new day of discovery and striving. We go searching for fulfillment. I love to read their stories and to learn from their examples. Blessed honored pioneers!
2 comments:
This Pioneer Day I have a greater appreciation then ever before for why we honor the Pioneers. I can not even comprehend the sacrifices and trials they went through. I am so thankful for my pioneer ancestors, along with hundreds of thousands of others, who were willing to make that long journey and make the desert bloom.
May the Lord bless and keep in honored memory those great, tough, gutty, and hard-nosed people we claim as our pioneer ancestors.
Post a Comment