In 1776, 56 men signed a document that put at risk their “Lives, [their] Fortunes, and [their] sacred Honor.” This document, the Declaration of Independence, boldly proposed a remarkable idea: that the king was made for the people, not the people for the king.This was, indeed, a revolutionary document, for, throughout most of recorded history, it had been the king who decided who would prosper and who would not. And because people needed the bread, shelter, and security that the king provided, they often accepted a life of servitude and surrendered their freedom in exchange for these necessities.
But then something happened. The common man began to stir and awaken from his slumber. He began asking questions that had before seemed impossible, too dangerous even to consider: “Why should we forever be children, dependent upon another for our bread? Aren’t all men created equal? Can we truly choose our own destiny? Can we live free?”
From that day to this, the spark of liberty has grown into a bright flame that shines in the souls of millions of men and women throughout the world, inspiring them to create for themselves a life and future of their own choosing.
It is fitting that we remember those brave souls who planted the seeds of liberty. We who enjoy the fruits of freedom have a responsibility to future generations to uphold, protect, and preserve those self-evident truths that gave birth to a new era. Though separated by the centuries, we can stand with those who boldly declared that all people everywhere are “endowed by their Creator with [the] unalienable Rights [of] Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Music and the Spoken Word, July 5, 2009
Since hearing this broadcast I've been thinking about the message it contains -
In my opinion, this thought, this idea is what sets our country apart from all others. The idea that WE create for ourselves a life and future of our own choosing. Our great land affords us many choices and opportunities. Because I have grown up with this freedom, I don't often think about all the blessings that it affords me. Choice. What greater blessing is there than having choices and the agency to pursue those choices?
- I choose to travel around freely and go and do whatever I want to do (within the confines of the law of the land.)
- I choose the course my life will take and I have the freedom to pursue that course
- I create the life for myself and my family (with my husband) that I want to achieve. Within reasonable perimeters, I can become or do whatever I want to do.
- I have opportunities for education and self improvement. If I work hard enough, I can achieve my dreams and goals. No one stops me but me.
- I'm not denied opportunities because of my gender or race. I have the same chances to succeed as everyone else. Because I was raised in a great home, I have even more chances because I was shown a great example.
- I have religious freedom. I can follow my conscience and show my faith in God according to my beliefs. I allow all others the same opportunity.
- I truly have a life with many liberties and the opportunity to pursue happiness. How many countries in the world even care if the people in them are happy? My country cares and encourages happiness!
- My happiness is based on my liberties, my opportunities and my freedom to be me.
1 comment:
Thanks for the inspiring thoughts, Vonnie. We often take for granted the freedom which we have. It is certainly something that sets us apart from other nations.
Post a Comment