My heart goes out to LDS members who are struggling with a crisis of faith. As I've watched some family members and friends, I'm sorry that they struggle because it is a painful struggle and sometimes the outcome is devastating to themselves and many of their family and friends. Our religion is a demanding religion. It requires work, dedication and service from its members. Like most religions, to stay strong and faithful takes effort and a willingness to work at maintaining and strengthening belief. It takes determination and faith. It requires much of us and I believe that by so doing, we are better people because of it. Not in the sense that we are better than anyone else, but in the sense that we are stronger people individually as we do our part to assist in this work and to advance the cause in which we believe. This is not an easy assignment for anyone and sometimes people struggle with the responsibility for many reasons.
We as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the gospel of Jesus Christ was newly restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith and organized on April 6, 1830. I've been blessed to strongly believe this. I won't go into all the details, but through personal revelation I have come to know for myself. I had to do my part. I had to ask and follow through with the feelings I received. This process is personal and it is very real. But it is not a "one time only" process. I have to maintain my belief through continually demonstrating my faith and enduring to the end. This is done through my actions, through my choices, through my words, through my deeds, through living my life in a way that I demonstrate my belief in Jesus Christ and my desire to follow Him. I fall short, but I get back up and try again. As long as I'm living, this process of building and maintaining my faith will continue. Just as my physical body needs to be feed to continue healthy and strong, my spirit needs to be feed as well. I know what I need to do. My belief and faith are deep and they are wide, but they aren't infallible. However, I'm very comfortable staying within the mainstream of the church which I believe is a big tent and allows for individual accountability. I believe that we are taught correct principles and that we are left to govern ourselves. Agency is a major tenant of our religion.
There are some aspects, events and historical occurrences in our religion that are hard to understand. That is a fact. In reading and studying more about these topics, it can become overwhelming. There aren't easy answers to many of them and most have to be taken in context of the time and place in which they occurred. Mountain Meadows is a prime example. These past events and other current events can be troubling to some members. A lot of it needs to be taken on faith, believing that some day the answers will be given. Some members may want a place to discuss their questions, and frankly, those opportunities aren't readily available. That is why I paid attention when I saw the newspaper earlier this week, and read this article in the local newspaper entitled "web site is refuge in Mormons' crisis of faith." "You are not alone," an introduction page at StayLDS.com reads. "We are here to listen and offer advice. We openly discuss problems in history, doctrine, practices and culture. We also openly discuss solutions that have helped people in the community reconcile themselves, and find a new, personal path of active faith within our rich LDS tradition."
The Web site is not sanctioned or endorsed by the LDS Church, nor is it staffed by experts in religion, psychology or communications. Instead it's run by and used by Latter-day Saints trying to provide comfort and support for the disillusioned.
I think it's commendable that a group of people are trying to find a way to help people stay LDS.
3 comments:
Thanks for the reference, Vonnie, and for your thoughts about faith, and maintaining it. We do have to work on our faith all the time, and it also works on us.
I have faced a lot of trials in my life, but not one has ever made my faith in who I am and why I am here waiver. On the contrary, with each trial I grow closer to my Father in Heaven and my testimony of the Plan of Salvation is only strengthened. In fact, in recent trials I've just basically said to stupid Satan, "Bring it on! There is nothing you can throw at me that will change who I am or what I believe in." I feel bad for people who struggle with that because there is nothing better then feeling God's love in your life and knowing you are doing what He would have you do. I'll have to check out those web sites, they sound interesting.
Post a Comment