I was 14 on July 20, 1969. I remember hurrying home from night sacrament meeting to watch the landing. On the way home, traveling from the church to our house, I remember looking up at the moon and thinking - wow, there are guys up there walking around. It was an incredible thought and an incredible accomplishment for the NASA space program. We all got home and sat down in front TV to watch the black and white footage of men landing on the moon. I remember my parents emphasizing for us to remember this day because it was such an historic event - the first time that any human being had stepped onto another world besides our own.
I also recall over the next few years as more Apollo missions returned to the moon in the early 1970s. There was NOTHING America could not do, and there was no one else in the world that could do the things that America was doing. Oh, how times have changed. America is in decline. "We are no longer the envy of the world, and the N. Koreans are firing ballistic missiles on our Independence Day, flaunting the fact that we cannot stop them from ignoring our warnings.India and China are mocking our economy, and own more of America than America does. There are still many things that are great about America but the gap has narrowed - soon we won't be the only superpower. "
11 comments:
Go China! Already a superpower and will soon be the greatest.
Go, USA. We are the ONLY superpower, and the first one to put a man on the moon. Don't forget that.
Amazing. Nice blog also. Check mine out for tips and resources for web biz or blogging. Good Luck! :)
Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.
Nice post with regard to the Moon landing. But, I would like to comment on the superpower topic.
Times change. And with time, everything changes. Before US, there was England as the superpower. And before England, it was Spain. So, it isn't that US was there from the beginning of the World. So, we should all relax and give every nation prove itself worthy of a "Superpower" status.
Also, I think, being a superpower brings with it, its own responsibilities as the line from the film Spiderman "With great power, comes great responsibility."
A true superpower is that nation which shows no discrimination among its own people.
I remember the moon landing. It was on the same day that we discovered that my brother was going to die of cancer. Mixed emotions now cloud my perspective of that significant day.
The moon landing was an event that the world possessed I think. Mankind. (Womenkind too). The american space program was rooted then in many origins, ranging from Nazi Germany (von braun), the many english minds, and the dear tax payer from all of your states who have come from everywhere to america. I think your pride is not inappropriate however for america can be remembered for fullfilling kennedy's promise made earlier in the 60's.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I removed a couple of comments that were advertising only and I didn't want that. If you have something to say about the topic, go right ahead!
That's cool. The only thing I have in my lifetime (that I can remeber) is 9-11. Lame.
I mean remember. Sorry, I'm tired.
Post a Comment