Friday, July 17, 2009

Massacre at the Meadows






Rick and I went to St. George last winter so that Rick could attend a conference. As part of the conference, a class was held on the Mountain Mead*ws Massacre that happened about 40 miles south of St. George in 1857. A professor from Weber State talked to us for about two hours about the events that lead up to that fateful day. It was very sobering and very unsettling to learn what transpired. After the lecture, we all drove out to the site and the professor continued to teach us about what happened that day. He referred us to several books and accounts that have been written on the topic. An organization called the MMM association continues to coordinate efforts to preserve the site and to tell about what happened that day. Their web site can be found here. I was so intrigued by the events that happened that day, that I bought this book







published by Oxford University Press and I've read most of it. It's a tough read. It details a very disturbing and gut-wrenching chapter of Mormon history. A review can be found here.

On September 11, 1857, a band of Mormon militia, under a flag of truce, lured unarmed members of a party of emigrants from their fortified encampment and, with their Paiute allies, killed them. More than 120 men, women, and children perished in the slaughter. Massacre at Mountain Meadows offers the most thoroughly researched account of the massacre ever written. Drawn from documents previously not available to scholars and a careful re-reading of traditional sources, this gripping narrative offers fascinating new insight into why Mormons settlers in isolated southern Utah deceived the emigrant party with a promise of safety and then killed the adults and all but seventeen of the youngest children. The book sheds light on factors contributing to the tragic event, including the war hysteria that overcame the Mormons after President James Buchanan dispatched federal troops to Utah Territory to put down a supposed rebellion, the suspicion and conflicts that polarized the perpetrators and victims, and the reminders of attacks on Mormons in earlier settlements in Missouri and Illinois. It also analyzes the influence of Brigham Young's rhetoric and military strategy during the infamous "Utah War" and the role of local Mormon militia leaders in enticing Paiute Indians to join in the attack. Throughout the book, the authors paint finely drawn portraits of the key players in the drama, their backgrounds, personalities, and roles in the unfolding story of misunderstanding, misinformation, indecision, and personal vendettas. The Mountain Meadows Massacre stands as one of the darkest events in Mormon history. Neither a whitewash nor an expose, Massacre at Mountain Meadows provides the clearest and most accurate account of a key event in American religious history.

2 comments:

VFR said...

The Mountain Meadows massacre is a very sad, very hard chapter in Utah history. There is no justification for it, and it was murder, straight up. It was interesting to hear the background, and to try to understand the event in its historical context.

Jihad El Suisry said...

Dear Vonnie, this story intrigued me greatly when I went to Utah and I appreciate very much that LDS speaks openly about it, it shows that we are all humans willing to learn from our errors. I am a former LDS, but please don't let this sadden you, you truly belong to the best Christian church I know of. I used to be Catholic but I was disappointed. The Roman catholic church has a long history of massacres, but it still hasn't had the courage to speak as openly as the Church of LDS. I grew up in Europe and Canada and then moved back to Europe where I married. The reason I left LDS was primarily because my wife refused to join LDS and this hampered my possibility to enter any Temple. So I felt as if I was only half a Mormon. Then my best friend who introduced me to the Church died and this broke almost all ties to the Church. In the meantime I divorced and for professional reasons I moved to Cairo in Egypt. There I learned about Islam and I was amazed how similar LDS and Islam are. The principles are basically the same, the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) was instructed to restore the teachings of Allah, very much like Joseph Smith was instructed to restore the Church of Jesus who, by the way, Muslims consider a prophet. The reason I write to you is simply to strenghten your faith in our Heavenly Father (I use LDS terminology which is actually forbidden by Islam as Allah cannot be a Father; the God of Islam is the same as that of the Jews: undefineable) and to assure you that the true Islam is not an enemy of your faith and your country, but brings a strong message of peace and faith, respecting all other religions (the thousands of Christian churches in Egypt are here to prove it). May you live in peace.