Thursday, March 19, 2009

Personality colors


Years ago Rick and I took a personality test that asked questions about our core thoughts and feelings and other motivational factors that make up our personalities. The book is called the Color Code.
It's an interesting look at what makes a person tick, and how that person relates to other people based on their personality characteristics. It puts people into four basic categories or colors and outlines their strengths and limitations. Of course people can have characteristics from each color, but each of us is generally predominately one color. Here's a little overview ~
RED ~ The Power Wielders. Are hungry for power. Want to look good to others. Seek leadership opportunities. Want to be productive. Shouldn't be taken too seriously. Some characteristics: active and productive, demanding and critical, competitive and bold, disagreeable, calculating and manipulative, insecure in some areas, tenacious and taxing, resourceful & self-reliant, lack intimacy orientation, assertive and determined, relentless and impatient.
BLUE ~ the Do-Gooders. Motivated by altruism. Directed by a strong moral conscience. Crave intimacy (loving relationships). Need to be loved. Some characteristics: emotional and admired, high expectations, self-sacrificing and nurturing, appropriate and sincere, self-righteous & insecure, committed and loyal, demanding, unforgiving and resentful, purposeful & dedicated, perfectionist, self-disciplined and stable, worry & guilt, moody & complex.
WHITES ~ the Peace Keepers. Motivated by peace. Like to keep a low profile. Motivated by other people's desires. Need kindness. Are independent. Some characteristics: peaceful and diplomatic, tolerant & patient, blendable, accepting, gentle and even-tempered, silent & stubborn, insecure & non-assertive, impressionable, unproductive dreamers, boring & lazy, aimless and misguided, doubtful & dependent, withhold feelings, unmotivated, timid & emotionally unsure, indecisive.
YELLOW ~ the Fun Lovers. Value play. Need intimacy through physical contact. Like action. Welcome praise. Want to be popular. Some characteristics: happy & fun, irresponsible, disorganized & incomplete, naive & trusting, self-centered, enthusiastic & carefree, impulsive & undisciplined, chatter-box & flirt, uncommitted, superficial, charismatic & popular.

The book is an interesting read and is helpful when trying to understand different personalities and their points of reference. It helps sort out basic human interactions when people respond so differently to similar situations, based on their personality color. It also gives some good tips on how to "deal" with personalities different than our own and how husbands and wives can better interact. I'll admit (which will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me) to being a predominately red personality with strong blue characteristics as well (nearly 50/50), some white and very little yellow characteristics. My husband is mostly blue with a lot of white, some red and little yellow. Our four children are probably each a different color! It's been so fun to raise them because they are each their own person and have their own unique personalities. Do you know your color?

7 comments:

VFR said...

Great, interesting post, Vonnie, and the book is an interesting read, too. I do know my color, and I think it's blue, tending toward white. I'm not yellow at all, and not very red, either.

Kylee said...

That's very interesting.. I'd have to say I'm probably blue and white.

Lee said...

There are some negaitive traits in each color. I guess it's good to be a mix of many colors? I'd say I'm mostly white with some blue? does the book have a test to take to determine what you are for sure?

Vonnie said...

Yes, I think each color has its upside and downside or strengths and weaknesses. The book does give the personality quiz. It takes about 20 minutes to take it. It would be a fun group/family activity and you could check the book out from the library.

tutus n bowties said...

Last time I took a personality test was my sr. year of highschool. I was equally yellow and blue. I would love to find out if it's the same of if it has changed at all.

Jord said...

I need to take that test again too. I remember being red and blue before, and am still probably the same.

Jamie Jo said...

I'm a Blue-Yellow to be sure. My Aunt Pam Skeen Hartman is the sister-in-law of Taylor Hartman, the author.