Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dee's cereal


I recently discovered this new cereal that I really like. It's sold in the refrigerated section of Macey's grocery store. It's kind of pricy - $18.50 for a bag, but it has 46 servings in one bag. It's made in Orem and probably only sold in Utah. I've noticed it before, but I resisted buying it because it cost so much. However, I must say that I love it! I'm not a fan of cold cereal. It's tastes too much like what I think it would be like to eat cardboard. I'll eat it, but a prefer eggs or cooked cereal. We use to call cooked cereal "mush" growing up. We would eat cracked wheat, oatmeal and cream of wheat on a regular basis. I think cooked cereal stays with you and keeps you full a lot longer than cold cereal.
Any, back to Dee's. Here are the ingredients listed on the back of the bag: organic wheat, brown rice, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, raisins, flax seed, garbanzo beans, organic corn, cranberries, bananas, oat groats (what ever that is) barley, oat bran and spices. That's it. No preservatives (hence the need to keep it in the refrigerator or the freezer) and very high in fiber. Rick thinks it is like eating bird seed! It claims to "fuel your mind and jump start your body." Dee Jardine, the creator of the cereal says "I found problems such as low energy, diabetes, weight loss, high blood pressure, constipation, high cholesterol and failing eye sight simply went away upon changing my lifestyle." It has 220 calories per serving with 5 g of fiber, 7 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate and 8 g fat. All you do is mix 1/3 cup of Dee's cereal with 2/3 cup water and microwave it for a couple of minutes. I like to add a tablespoon of honey and presto - a healthy, filling breakfast!

2 comments:

VFR said...

I still prefer mush, but this stuff is okay. It is pricey, especially in these austere times, but I'm glad you like it, Vonnie. Thanks for the information.

Claire said...

Hmm sounds interesting. My new fave is steel cut oatmeal with my Magic B*llet smoothie.