Friday, March 20, 2009

Bigotry against M-o-r-m-o-n-s

Take a look at this opinion piece today in the Salt Lake Tribune. The author hits on a topic that is real and disconcerting here in Utah. I tend to agree with him. Here is a little sample of the article:
"It is obvious to an outsider that Utah, or at least Salt Lake City, has within itself a deeply held culture of bigotry. A bigotry so ingrained in the cultural norm that the readers posting comments to the newspaper's blogs, apparently believing they are freethinking and ironic, are saying things online that would never be allowed into print if written about other groups.

The Tribune and Utah bloggers seem unaware of this.

I noticed that after Utah and BYU athletic events, many bloggers simply use the occasion to display anti-Mormon hatred that had little relevance to the actual game..."

We live in a state where people reside who hate us because of our religious beliefs. Lots of other people hate us who live outside of the state. There are bigots on both sides of the debate. Mormons don't have a corner on perfection. Even though we strive to improve ourselves and make wise choices like most people, we are not perfect. However, those who speak the loudest just speak the loudest on both sides of the debate. They do no represent the silent masses who just go about living their lives and doing the best they can. There is a divide in this state that grows wider and deeper with the passage of time and events. The thing I object to are the generalizations that are used to categorize all people into one common stereotype. I am thought of as persona non grata because I live in Utah County as well and have affiliation with BYU. Could there be a more vile, repressed, unsophisticated, non-thinker, ignorantly obedient, weird, judgmental, self-righteous, provincial, backward, narrow-minded, prejudiced bigot than I?

3 comments:

VFR said...

There is a deep, deep divide here in Utah, and it has much to do with the LDS Church and those who hate it. The Salt Lake Tribune does nothing but foment and agitate this divide by its comment and blog section. Sadly, this divide seems to be growing, not shrinking, and deepening, not narrowing.

Jord said...

True dat Dad. I think it will only continue to grow and it is especially hard in Utah where Mormons are so concentrated. I just try and live so that people see through me that Mormons are just people too.

Jamie Jo said...

It's sad isn't it. And that last sentence did make me laugh because those words are SO FAR from who you are!