Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Christian Courage

Three things came into sharp focus today for me.
1 - while doing my scripture study of the Book of Mormon in Mosiah 11-17 over the last few days, I was reminded again about the teachings of Abinadi.
2- while driving around listening to the October '08 conference report today, I was reminded of the teachings of Elder Hales about how to show Christian courage in the face of opposition and ridicule.
3- both the scriptures and the talk helped prepare me for this news report.
I read the article and saw the offensive picture listed on the TV guide online version http://www.tvguidemagsales.com/WeeklyIssues/TVG030909.pdf on Monday and then it wasn't. there anymore today. Did TV Guide and Time Warner cave in and take down the online version?
My natural response is to write, call, email and voice my concerns to the executives of Time Warner who produce Big Love. If I subscribed to AOL, I would change providers immediately since it is also a part of Time Warner. Since Mr. Tom Hanks (executive producer of Big Love) thinks we're UN-American as it is, I'm inclined to boycott any of his future films. Can one person make any difference against these conglomerates? It appears that the answer is yes, if done with Christian courage.

This response (The Publicity Dilemma) from the LDS church website incorporates the teachings of Abinidi and Elder Hales in Answering our accusers in the Savior’s way:

"Experience shows that seasons of negative publicity about the Church can help accomplish the Lord’s purposes. In 1983, the First Presidency wrote to Church leaders, “Opposition may be in itself an opportunity. Among the continuing challenges faced by our missionaries is a lack of interest in religious matters and in our message. These criticisms create . . . interest in the Church. . . . This provides an opportunity [for members] to present the truth to those whose attention is thus directed toward us.”1

We can take advantage of such opportunities in many ways: a kind letter to the editor, a conversation with a friend, a comment on a blog, or a reassuring word to one who has made a disparaging comment. We can answer with love those who have been influenced by misinformation and prejudice—who are “kept from the truth because they know not where to find it” (D&C 123:12). I assure you that to answer our accusers in this way is never weakness. It is Christian courage in action." Elder Hales, October 2008 General Conference

2 comments:

VFR said...

Thanks, Vonnie, for your comments on Christian courage. Now is a time for us to show quite a bit of it, and I think we'll even get more opportunities to do so in the days that follow. Times are getting very interesting, and tough, and I think they'll get more interesting and tougher still.

Kelley said...

I, too am saddened by the BIG love news. I saw the picture and my heart sank. Thanks for calming and inspiring my sad heart about this.