
Today while I was driving to work I saw two girls crash on a bike (in front of Doug & Peggy's old home for those of you who know the area.) One girl was pumping the other girl who was on the back of the bike. I suppose the foot of the younger girl got caught in the spokes of the bike and it just stopped on the spot and they crashed. I pulled over immediately and could see that there was no way I could get the little girl's foot out of the spokes. Her ankle was very badly bent and I'm sure it was broken. She was screaming for her mother, poor little thing. Luckily I had my cell phone. I called 911 and within 5 minutes the paramedics were on the scene. I just tried to comfort the girls who were both crying and I sat down on the sidewalk and put little Taylor's head in my lap on the curb while we waited for help. I asked the older girl if she could go to the school and get the Principal since it was only a half block away. She said she could. Little seven year old Taylor didn't know her phone number, but she knew her mother's name. When the paramedics arrived, they went right to work on getting her ankle out. She would scream with every spoke on the bike that they cut. They finally got her free and got her on a gurney. The Principal arrived and said he had already called Taylor's mother. The mother didn't have a car to get to the school, so the Principal sent another teacher to pick her up. Meanwhile they got Taylor loaded in the ambulance ready to transport to the hospital. I was VERY impressed with the paramedics who were calm, professional and kind. They gave Taylor a brown teddy bear and she really clung to it. I tried to give her reassurance and comfort, but she was pretty scared and was in a lot of pain. Poor little girl. They finally decided to take her to the hospital and have her mother meet her there. She started shaking (probably going into shock.) I must say that my heart was pounding too. I'm very grateful that we have emergency response teams who are competent and capable. It's a great blessing to have someone to call for help in an emergency...my first time to call 911.
8 comments:
How awful! I'm soooo glad you were there for her!!! And today's "word verification" is very fitting:
dramism
Oh, and it was fun to chat with you the other day. Thanks again for calling!
yalses
Way to save the day! Vonnie to the rescue. Thanks again for the wonderful dinner last night!
Thanks, Vonnie, for being so kind and for helping two little girls in need. That's a pretty good allegory about those who help us (even the ONE who helps us most) when we are in need.
Good thing you were there to help those poor girls! That sounds horrible and gross but I'm sure you stayed calm and the girl's mom was glad you were there. Way to save the day (again).
What a crazy story Mom. I am glad you were able to help and that the paramedics rushed to the rescue. Jake and I once saw a dog get hit by a car in that same place....it must not be a very lucky spot.
What an awful thing to happen to that poor girl. I remember when Josh broke his foot just above his ankle and how painful that was for him...and he was home with his parents and in 7th grade. A poor little 7 year old girl?! How scary. That's very good you were there. I wonder what would have happened if you hadn't been. I do have a soft spot in my heart for paramedics. I can't imagine why.
Wow that's crazy!! I've never had to call either and I hope I never will. It's a good thing you were there though! And I'm sure those girls were glad too!
Post a Comment