Sunday, January 4, 2009

Moving on ~ the ball drops on a new year


Christmas is over. All the visitors have called in that they are safely back to their own homes. The last family left this morning at 7:00 am. I'll admit to a few tears as they pulled away with the grand babies in tow. We had 15 wonderful consecutive days with family members back in our home over the holiday. Now it's time to clean up and get back to work after a two week break. It's good I have work to turn to. I'm back at my post in the morning.

Here are a few thoughts:
  1. It's good to have it come, but it's good to have it go. Living in "Holiday" mode is exhausting!
  2. When it's over, it's over. Why is it that I can't get enough of the music, the tree and all the activities, but when it's over, I'm done. Period.
  3. We completely lose track of which day of the week it is. They all seem like a Saturday, 7 days a week during the Christmas season.
  4. $400 of food disappears quickly with a house full of family.
  5. I can't wait to get the tree down and out of the room. All 17 plastic bins full of decorations back to the garage until next year.
  6. My to do list: write thank you cards for all the wonderful gifts I/we received, wash the company bedding and towels, get rid of any remaining candy and treats (take it to my office for the young workers there...please eat it....please), clean and dejunk the rooms after undecorating, bring in the new - pass on the old (we have entirely too much STUFF as it is), spent some time learning how to operate my new techno gifts (help!), make five realistic and attainable goals for the new year, always remember the good times we had enjoying Christmas 2008! Thanks to all our family and friends who made this holiday so fun and memorable. I love you!!!
Happy 2009! Onward and upward!!

4 comments:

LHall said...

I laughed to myself all the way through your post. So true, so true, so true. It was great.

Here's the answer to your question on the book.

You can either by one or order it at the BYU Bookstore.

It is entitled M.Catherine Thomas - Selected Writings. It's one of the most insightful, uplifting books I have ever read. I am constantly re-reading these essays.

VFR said...

It's great the Christmas and holiday seasons come, and it's great they go. It would be to exhausting/expensive/enervating to live in holiday mode all the time, as you mentioned. It's nice to be back to regular life. Thanks for the post, Vonnie!!

Lee said...

Every year as I put up my decorations, I think I will never get sick of them and be ready to take them down, but it never fails, every year like clockwork, on January 1st, I'm ready! And it never fails that I get in a cleaning and dejunking mode as well. Funny. I'm glad you had a fabulous time with the kids and grandkids.

Stacey said...

I agree on all your sentiments. Our pre Christmas Program was postponed since the snow canceled church the Sunday before Christmas and sadly it just wasn't the same after. I took down everything the day Sara left and if felt so nice and bare. Ahhh....then again, I am my mother's daughter and I had a lot of "stuff" everywhere. Love the downscale :>