Friday, January 9, 2009

Guinea Pig

Since I work in a research office, I know how important scientific findings are to making discoveries and changing behavior based on those discoveries.

I've been involved in a fitness research project for middle-aged women conducted at BYU over the last 10 years or so. It has involved recording everything I ate for a week, wearing an activity monitor to measure my activity, having a blood test done, having a complete body scan done to measure body fat, running on a treadmill to measure fitness and doing other fitness measures, and then filling out extensive questionnaires about my life style. I've also had my carotid artery measured with an MRI to show what kind of blockage is building in my arteries. I've gone through these tests about once a year over that last ten years or so. It's been very interesting to participate in the studies and all the testing was done for free. I've learned a lot about my own health and fitness from participating and I'm happy to report that I'm in decent shape.


Recently some of the findings were published.

"Brigham Young University researchers report in the next issue of the American Journal of Health Promotion that the middle-aged women they studied had more than twice the risk of substantial weight gain if they did not become more restrained in their eating. "

Check this out in the Washington Post and WebMed with these startling headlines from the research findings-

It Pays to Eat Less as You Age

Women Warned: Eat Less or Weigh More

Shocking!!!!
I could have told you that without all the research.

3 comments:

tutus n bowties said...

Wow! Ten years is a long time. I bet it have been fun to participate. I jump all over issues that deal with health because I find it so interesting and helpful to my own life.

Jamie Jo said...

Such a simple truth, but so hard to practice!!

Vonnie said...

I have generally subscribed to the theory that you should eat fast because then you can eat more. Now comes this new research and spoils everything. News flash - eat less to weigh less. The new advice is the old advice - eat less. Thanks for the post, Vonnie.

ree ree