Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Home Alone

I wonder how long it will take me to be comfortable with being home alone.
The first summer after we got married, I worked full-time at a fabric store at the mall and I was never home alone. That fall Rick started graduate school and I started working another job full-time during the day and I was never home alone. Jordan came along when I was still working full-time. I didn't stop working until Rick had a job and we had two children to keep me company. Then I quit my job and I was home, but I wasn't alone. This continued for 27 years.

Last year Andy moved out and went to live in an apartment with his friends. I came home after work in the afternoon to an empty house. I'd be alone for 2-3 hours until Rick got home. It was kind of unnerving. It was so quiet. It was kind of lonely. I had to figure out things to do to keep busy. I really missed my kids. I loved all their activity, their friends, conversations with them and events to attend and frankly, I liked doing stuff for them. It gave me purpose and direction. Tears were shed when they all left, but I've tried to be brave and stay productive. The Empty Nest was/is a hard reality for me to face.

Now it's been almost a year since we've had any kids living in our home. Their bedrooms have all been emptied of their stuff (except for Andy's room.) I've been home alone in the afternoon most days. Sometimes I think of things to do so I don't have to go home alone. It's still so different. I'm not scared, I'm just alone. It's hard to describe. I like to do my own things, but it seems so selfish.

I can't imagine living alone. I know this much - living alone isn't for wimps. Seriously, how do people do it? Thank goodness I have a husband who does come home at night. We love our evenings together and we are enjoying this time when it is just the two of us again.

I just have one question...will it take me 27 years to get use to not having our children in our home?

5 comments:

tutus n bowties said...

Oh sad Vonnie! Call me anytime you are lonely and I will come be your daughter for the night!

Lee said...

Isn't it funny how different we all are? I LOVE being alone. I of course love being with my family, but I look forward to when I'm just home alone. I love to do my thing- clean, read, do a project- with no interruptions. I often wonder how long it would take for me to hate it though if I knew no one would be coming home soon.

VFR said...

At least when most people are alone, they are with someone they love. Laurel L. makes a good point - it isn't so cool if you know nobody is coming home soon.

ree ree

Vonnie said...

Thanks Syd. That is so sweet of you. We're going to visit Claire & R this weekend, but when I get back, I want to see more of you. You always brighten my day!
Lee - I loved having some alone time when I was at your stage too. This is different. Just like anything else, you don't really know until you know. I'll hold your hand when the time comes.
VFR - that's so true. All this alone time does cause a person to take a good look at themselves. That can be good though and I'm trying to see the silver lining...there are lots of things turning silver now!

Unknown said...

It will take the rest of your life to get used to not having your children around. You will yearn for those days forever.