


Milan? No.
New York? No.
New Center? Yes!
Aretha Franklin's now-famous bow-tied, gift-wrapped, jewel-studded, $179 inaugural hat was designed, produced and sold to the Queen of Soul by Mr. Song Millinery, a family-owned business on Woodward Avenue just south of W. Grand Boulevard, a couple of blocks from the Fisher Building.
Starting minutes after Franklin finished her distinctive rendition of "My County 'Tis of Thee" Tuesday, the store's phones started ringing.
By this afternoon, they had sold hundreds of hats. A store they work with in Dallas had sold 500 more, and the material was running out.
"People are calling from England, asking for the hat," said Luke Song, who designed Franklin's chapeau. "I'm shocked. I had no idea. We did not expect this." (D News Jan 26, 2009)

I didn't care for Aretha's rendition of My Country Tis of Thee but I LOVED her flamboyant hat. I wish that more women actually wore hats in these days. Maybe this hat will start a come back. I know Syd agrees with me on this point. Think of how easy it would be to just GO every day by putting a hat on and not having to deal with fixing hair. So easy and so fun! Go Aretha Franklin!


1 comment:
Not only was her had very weird, but her rendition of the song was terrible. I don't think there was anything good about the whole presentation. It is interesting that she was responsible for many more hats being sold, though. Please don't get one like that, though.
Post a Comment