Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's cold ouside (and inside)

Have you ever wondered how cold it would get in your house if your furnace didn't work? Well, we now have the answer to that question in our home. We came home last night from a four day trip to visit Claire and R. The minute we walked into the house I could tell that the heater hasn't on. It was probably off most of the time we were gone. The atomic clock thermometer registered at 43 degrees in our bedroom last night. Luckily we have a small electric space heater, so we turned that on all night and put more blankets on the bed. This morning when we woke up it registered at 63 degrees. Those twenty degrees made a huge difference!
This morning, it was 9 degrees outside. I went upstairs to try again and see if the furnace would start. Nothing. I could see my breath in Claire's room, the coldest room in the house. I'm sure it was around 36 degrees in there. We called the furnace repair guy and he came right away. It took him 15 minutes to replace a small fuse in the furnace electrical box. $168. A large price to pay for a small service, but a small price to pay for heat. Has something like this ever happened to you?

5 comments:

Rebecs said...

COLD! We too woke up this morning with a malfunctioning furnace, so we thought. It ended up we just need to reset our thermostat. After seeing your bill, I am so grateful that is all it was. We woke up to 60 degrees, I cannot even imagine 43!!! Hope your trip was fun.

Courtney said...

I'm glad for you that it was only a fuse that needed to be replaced, we had the same problem but we had to get a brand new furnace! We had just about turned into ice sculptures, so we are so happy to have heat again.

Claire said...

Ha ha 9 degrees! My room always was the coldest, which I guess explains why I crank the heater up to 80 sometimes.

Jord said...

Yikes! That would be horrible. I do not like the cold and am glad the guy came quickly and fixed. We only had the opposite problem...of being in extreme heat with no AC.

VFR said...

It was just like winter camp in the house. Seriously, an incident like that surely makes you appreciate the comforts of a warm home and the ability to heat our homes. It was a hefty repair bill, but beats living in the cold, inside your home.