Wednesday, November 5, 2008

...and the day after

Can we all just move on now? The people have spoken and even if we don't agree with all the outcomes, can't we move ahead and try and do what's best for our country? I sincerely hope that president-elect Obama will do what's best for our country. I have my doubts and deep concerns about the kind of supreme court judges he will choose during this tenure, but the dye is cast. The consequences of the choices made by voters are far reaching, but it's time to move ahead until the next battle. I really enjoyed reading these quotes from Abraham Lincoln. He helps put things in perspective and keep me grounded in what really matters:

"...I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side." The Inner Life of Abraham Lincoln: Six Months at the White House by Francis B. Carpenter (Lincoln, Nebraska, University of Nebraska Press, 1995), p. 282. Also, Recollections of Abraham Lincoln by Ward Hill Lamon (Lincoln, Nebraska, University of Nebraska Press, 1994), p. 91.

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it." Lincoln's Cooper Institute Address, February 27, 1860

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." Lincoln's Second Annual Message to Congress, December 1, 1862.

"Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Speech at Peoria, Illinois" (October 16, 1854), p. 273.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

President-elect Obama won-
349 electoral votes (270 needed to win)
53% of the popular vote with 63,562,802 votes

Senator McCain lost-
163 electoral votes
46% of the popular vote with 56,218,389 votes

1 comment:

VFR said...

Thanks for the perspective, Vonnie. I think we all, as Americans, need to wish the president-elect well, and to hope that he does well, for the collective good of the country. While I have my reservations, I will wait and see how things go. In any event, it is good the election in over. It has been one very long season.