Rupert, Idaho
I have great fondness for the little town where I grew up. Whenever I visit there, I always get a lump in my throat and great emotions swell in my heart. When we pull in to town to visit, I'm almost overcome with a sense of entering a time machine. Not much changes in Rupert. I can imagine that I still live there and that I'm just headed down Meridian Road to our home and that I will find all well there. As I drive down the road and look at the homes, businesses and scenery, I can think of one hundred stories and events that transpired along that route. I loved growing up in Rupert. Small town living had a charm all its own, which you almost can't appreciate unless you've had a similar experience. It is a unique place because it has a town square with this beautiful park at the center. All of the businesses surround the park and the business district is about three or four block square.
This picture shows the Wilson theater. It is a Rupert landmark. I've spend many, many hours at the Wilson watching movies. It has recently been restored and you can see from the picture how nice it looks now. It has a balcony in the theater and as kids, we always loved sitting in the balcony to watch a movie. Show times were in the evenings mostly just on weekends, usually starting at 7:00 and 9:00 and then on Saturday with shows at 2:00, 4:00, 6:00 and 8:00 pm.
The Snake River went by our little town. Water from the river was used to irrigate our farm and many other farms in the area. The river was a favorite place for picnics, boating (although we didn't do much of that when I was very young) and water skiing. I almost drowned in the Snake River, but that is a story for another day.I affectionately refer to the "Rupert Way" when I think of a way of life and a way to live that life to it's fullest. Here are some of the ways of living that make up the "Rupert Way":
- Slow down and smell the roses. Life in Rupert is at a much slower pace. People have time to talk and most people know everyone in town. You can go "to town" as we called it (which was traveling 2 1/2 miles from our farm home into the city limits) and meet many people you know in the stores. You'd better put on your lipstick, because you're sure to see someone you know.
- There were two department stores when I was young, Penney's and Idaho Department Store. There were also a couple of drug stores, a nice clothing store named Roper's, a jewelry store, a music store, a furniture store, a flower store, a shoe store, a book store, a fabric store, a western store and King's, the variety store. If they didn't have it, you didn't need it. Once in awhile we'd travel to Burley or to Utah for major purchases, but mostly we made do. Instead of having one hundred choices of items to meet every need, we had two or three, and that was fine.
- We hardly ever ate out. We ate at home, but on the rare occasion that we did eat out, it was usually at the Tasty Freeze, or the A&W. Grownups ate at the Ponderosa on special occasions, or we would have a few family outings to a few pizza places or cafes. We had a huge garden and we ate out of it, all summer long, on our little patio. All women knew how to cook and they did it very well.
- We had one or two doctors and one or two dentists. If they couldn't fix it, you were in trouble. We didn't go to the doctor for every little thing.
- People worked HARD, the sun-up-t0-sundown kind of hard. Most of the people in the community were farmers or dairy men. They didn't complain. They helped each other. If anyone was in need, neighbors came to the rescue.
- People dressed simply and generally with no pretense. They wore the best they had, which wasn't always the most fashionable, but looked just fine as long as it was clean.
- Back in the day, LDS Church members comprised about thirty to thirty-five percent of the community. I think members were generally held in high regard in the community. They served in the community and worked hard and helped everyone, regardless of religion. One time when I wrote a nasty note in seventh grade to a girl who bugged me, the PE teacher, Mrs. Stefan, got the note and read it. In it, I used some swear words and said some cruel things to the annoying girl. Mrs. Stefan called me to her office and asked me if I'd written the note. I said that I had. She said "Isn't your dad a leader of your church? Would he approve of this note?" I never felt more ashamed thinking that I had dishonored my church and my dad by my behavior. I apologized to the girl with Mrs. Stefan standing nearby.
- We stayed home and made our own entertainment. We didn't need to be constantly entertained and, frankly, there wasn't much by way of entertainment in the area anyway. We played with family and friends and made up all sorts of interesting things to do. Amazing stories will follow some day about some of those activities. Kids in Rupert were creative and they had a lot of fun.
- People did what they said they would do, for the most part. People served others and helped, even when they didn't have much themselves. I think those are some of the defining characteristics about the Rupert way - hard work, honesty, helpfulness, kindness, being nonjudgmental and down-to-earth, with not much pretense. No one was out to impress anyone else much. It was a simple way of life, one that I miss sometimes.
- It's a real compliment to be a person who lives "the Rupert way." My sister Janet and her husband Dave epitomize this way of living life. Dave's motto that "it ain't no big deal" (no he doesn't speak this way, but it is his motto) tells in a nutshell about how to live this way.
- My husband is an adopted son of Rupert. He is pretty lucky that I have granted him that status, but he deserves it, because he is a hard worker, true to his word, unpretentious and willing to help. And he'll even put on a clean shirt when he goes into town to pick up a loaf of bread or a jug of milk in case he sees someone he knows.
8 comments:
I'm impressed that you're so proud to be a rupert girl. Me, not so much. I don't know why really because all the things you wrote about were true. I just always hate saying I'm from Rupert,ID. In college I wanted to be from California, and often claimed that I was. . . but good on you to have such wonderful memories-which I do as well- I just always wished we would move to Logan. So it all worked out in the end!
Great post, Vonnie. It is a great thing to be proud of your history, background, and hometown. Long live the Rupert way!
ree ree
I'm proud of you for loving Rupert! I wish I did. I always wanted to live in Menlo Park, Cal. or Logan. But I did love growing up with my parents and siblings. That's something, right?!
Vonnie...Thanks for the reminder of the good things in Rupert, ID. I still live here and my two oldest children live in California now. They tend to make small jabs about growing up here when bringing home friend and explaining their youth. While there are lots of things to make fun about small town living, as you pointed out there are also very good things. Thanks again. I am not sure your will even remember me, but I was the one always hanging around your house with Mary Ann. I actually drove past your house on Meridian today on an errand. It seemed smaller than I remembered. I always loved the upstairs room that Mary Ann and Janet shared. It seemed like a hideaway in a castle and away from everyone else. Good times....
Lee and Ann - even though you didn't love claiming Rupert as your hometown, don't you agree that we learned some good basic values because we were raised there? Do you think growing up there influenced the way you live now in some ways?
Hi Joyce - thanks for the comment. I do remember you well and I think it's great that you still live in Rupert and that you've remained friends with Ann. There is a lot to recomment Rupert, and yes, that upstairs bedroom was very unique and a great bedroom for girls. We didn't like the heat in the summer or the "millers" that flew around, but we have some wonderful memories sharing that room.
I'll admit I learned the value of hard work being raised on a farm, but that would apply to any farm in any small town. I'll agree that you do learn different values being raised on a farm verses being raised in a city---
Except don't forget the time you got pulled over for speeding in Ruprecht and the cop let you off the hook with your out-of-state plates, and all the while you kept mum that you had lived there for 20 years!!! I like Kings dept store in Rupert.
I think it is great that you love where you grew up and the way of life there. I definitely love where I grew up and think it was the best thing for me.
Post a Comment