Friday, November 7, 2008

Grape Juice















Our friends and neighbors Randy and Marie gave us the remainder of their concord grapes to make juice. It is one of the easiest things there is to bottle. Here is what you do - Step 1 - wash the grapes and put them in the container.














Step 2 - Put the grape container over the steamer. Let it boil and steam the grapes for about 45 minutes. The grapes burst in the process and the juice runs into the bottom of the container where it collects. Step 3 - Once the juice has built up in the bottom container, use the hose to fill hot and sanitized bottles. (Hand sign provided by my trusty assistant.) Making grape juice is kinda messy, but well worth the bother.














Step 4 - Fill the bottles and top off with sanitized and steaming lids and rings. The bottles seal as they cool down. When ready to drink, add one part water or one part Sprite or 7-up to the juice with ice and it's ready to serve. We got 21 quarts from the grapes we were given!! Add a couple tablespoons of sugar if desired (I usually don't add much sugar - it doesn't need it) and enjoy!

2 comments:

VFR said...

Thanks for another good article on home production, Vonnie. The grape juice is tasty, as I can attest, and so easy to make that a man can do much of the work!

Jamie Jo said...

I bet that is so yummy! I wish I knew how to do stuff like that.