Friday, August 6, 2010

the secret's in the sauce


I'm kind of picky about potato salad. I'm not a fan of pickles in a potato salad. I'm also not sure that mustard has any place in a potato salad. But today my friends, I'm going to share a family recipe. The BEST potato salad ever. My mother-in-law makes a killer potato salad and she made up the recipe by accident. She didn't have enough mayonnaise, so she used.........................................................................................................................................................
RANCH DRESSING instead. Who would have thought? The secret is in the dressing.

Pat's potato salad
~take six large potatoes (or more if you're making a large salad) boiled with the skins on until cooked, cooled, peeled and cubed in a large bowl
~cook six hard boiled eggs while the potatoes are cooking. Cool.
~cut up and add one entire bunch of green onion, tops included
~add 1 1/2 to 2 cups Ranch Dressing (I buy the big bottle of Gregg's in the refrigerated section at Costco)
~add 1 T. Lawry's seasoning
~Grate the eggs and add to the salad.
~pepper to taste

Mix the potatoes, eggs, onions, Ranch Dressing and Lawry's. Let it sit for at least a couple of hours to absorb the dressing and for the flavors to mix. Add more Ranch Dressing if needed. Make sure the salad is moist enough (there's nothing worse than a dry potato salad.) It's best if the salad is made the day before and allowed to chill and blend flavors during the night.

That's it. Five ingredients. No pickles. No mustard.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jord said...

It is a great salad recipe and I'll print it out and add it to my collection. The only shame of it is those who want it egg-less. They are totally missing out.

VFR said...

It is a great salad, but only with the eggs missing. Eggs don't make anything better.

Lee said...

I made this salad Monday night, and it was TASTY. We all loved it. I'll do it this way from now on! Thanks for sharing

Jamie Jo said...

I don't normally like potato salad either. But that sounds worth trying. However I would have to omit the onions. I'm not a huge fan.