Saturday, August 7, 2010

Adios to another child




Dave and Courtney pulled up stakes and headed out to graduate school this week. Boo hoo hoo is all I can say. It's another one of those happy/sad situations. I'm know I'm being totally selfish, but we've loved having them close by for the last several years and we enjoyed their visits and our joint activities probably more than they will know. We'll really miss that. They've been great friends and I must way that I absolutely love relating to my children and their spouses as adults. Good times, good conversation and a lot of fun.
But, life goes on, and so does theirs - just to another state and another experience. They'll do well. I have no question about that. They'll switch roles with Courtney earning the pay check and Dave putting in the study hours. Hopefully, some day they'll come back. I can dream, can't I? They'll have some family in the area where they are going and it will be fun for them to spend more time together. Our loss is their gain.
Rick helped Dave drive the truck down a few days ago. They will be setting up their first apartment and actually using their wedding gifts. Since they've been tending the home of Courtney's parents these last two years, they'll have a much smaller place to manage and no yard work to worry about. Hooray!
We had a fun "Adios" party and barbecue with some of Dave's good friends that he grew up with along with his good college buddies last weekend. I really like Dave's friends. They're great young men doing good things with their lives. Most of them are married and it was fun to eat and then have a rousing game of volleyball with the huge plastic beach ball out in the park.
Best of luck Dave and Courtney. We love you very much.

5 comments:

Jord said...

Good post mother. I am sad for you that they moved especially because the bot can't fill the void. :) We are excited though and hope you'll come and visit a lot.

Lee said...

I feel for you--- but kids have got to have adventures of their own I guess. Hey, is Courtney wearing a "U" shirt??? In your house? But it's blue- so I'm pretty sure it's not one. It's probably a BYU one making fun of the U somehow.

Anonymous said...

I tried to write yesterday. but it would not go. I try again. Its always sad and happy to have our dhildren leave the nest.Especially far away. We want them on their own, but we miss them and hope for frequent visits.da

VFR said...

Thanks for the post, Vonnie. As for a follow-up, they are in a great place there in the valley of the sun, and Dave will do a great job at school, and Courtney will do well in her field. We will miss them, but at least they have family connections down there.

Jamie Jo said...

What is with the 2nd generation migrating to AZ?