Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas traditions - #9


cHRiStMaS CarDs!!!

Check out this interesting blog entry called writing "Christmas Letters 101." It has some interesting things to consider when writing a family Christmas letter.
And that brings me to the main point on Christmas tradition #9. To send a card only or to send a family letter as well? To send an email card or to send no card at all. That is the question. Some people have strong feelings on the subject. Some people don't like the family letters and they just throw them away (or worse, they make fun of them!) I've kind of figured out some who don't like the family letters and I decided not to even bother them with it anymore.
I haven't ever really viewed the family newsletter as a "brag letter". I consider it a "catch up letter" and I enjoy reading them. For me, I LOVE Christmas cards that include a family letter or a note of some sort. I read every word and I enjoy catching up with family and friends to see what their year has been like, especially those who live far away. We've always sent a Christmas card/letter and I enjoy receiving them as well. When Rick gets home from work each day during December he always asks to see which cards have come that day and he enjoys reading what people have sent.
For years, I taped each card on to my kitchen hutch. More recently I have been putting them all in this HUGE Christmas stocking that hangs on the back of our front door. It gets really loaded by the time Christmas rolls around. Our kids who live far away even enjoy taking down the stocking and reading the cards and letters that are contained therein, because they know many of the people.
I love the family pictures on the Christmas cards, I love the Christmas greetings, I love the well-wishes and I love the kinds sentiments that are expressed. And I really enjoy the family updates!

5 comments:

VFR said...

Long live Christmas cards and letters, even if you only hear from the folks who send them once a year.

Lee said...

I too love the traditon of traditional in the mail christmas cards and letters. I'm not a fan of just a picture and no letter or words. Boring. Sorry to offend, but it's much funner to get at least warm wishes for a merry Christmas. It's an expense and hassle to get 50 plus letters/cards off, but I love receiving them, so it's always worth it.

tutus n bowties said...

My mom and I were just discussing the whole Christmas letter. I personally like a little update on everyones year, but even if I just get a picture card I'm tickled pink.

Jord said...

I love your card collection and will be happy to look it over soon. I believe in the Christmas card as a great way to keep in touch with people. Kind of like a blog.

LHall said...

I have been mulling over the idea of sending the family letter out on email or on a blog link - complete of course with pictures etc. That would put a damper on the old fashioned hands on approach of reading it so.....maybe not. It probably wouldn't get much past the one recipient unless they were good at forwarding to their family members. But still, I might try it with the economic crunch being what it is.

Our 5th daughter began writing our family letter about 5 years ago. She's creative and a bit outrageous and we actually have people looking forward to reading it. Never mind that you can't distinguish between fact and fiction - it makes for a good story line and a bit of humor. People are excited to read that we have sold our children into slavery and taken off for a trip around the world. I think this year's letter will be a true/false quiz. The first person to return the quiz with the correct answers will get....absolutely nothing!