



Dave, Courtney, Rick, Pat and I were fortunate to attend the 1st presidency Christmas devotional last night at the conference center. We loved to see the lights at Temple Square and to hear the words of President Monson, President Eyring and President Uchtdorf. The choir numbers were beautiful and the messages were inspirational. We always enjoying watching the fireside on TV most years and this year it was a special treat to attend the meeting in person. The conference center was so beautifully decorated and there is always such a good spirit there.
The Bethlehem innkeeper never got a second chance to house the holy family, but those who seek to follow the babe born in his stable will not only make room for Christ, they will emulate his light, his love and his care for others.
That was the message shared with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worldwide on Sunday as the faith's First Presidency presented its annual Christmas devotional in the Conference Center, with music by the Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square.
Speaking amid brightly decorated Christmas trees and poinsettias decorating the dais, President Thomas S. Monson said the innkeeper missed his greatest opportunity the night Christ was born. "Long years afterward, it would not do any good for him to repeat over and over again the words, 'If only I had known who they were, I would have made room for them."'
Today, many enjoy homes with rooms for eating, sleeping, playing, sewing and TV, "but no room for Christ," he said. While many desire to make room in their hearts for the Savior, "no matter how successful we have been thus far. ... I am confident we would all wish to do better." This Christmas season is the time to do so, he said. - Deseret News, Monday, December 8, 2008
That was the message shared with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worldwide on Sunday as the faith's First Presidency presented its annual Christmas devotional in the Conference Center, with music by the Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square.
Speaking amid brightly decorated Christmas trees and poinsettias decorating the dais, President Thomas S. Monson said the innkeeper missed his greatest opportunity the night Christ was born. "Long years afterward, it would not do any good for him to repeat over and over again the words, 'If only I had known who they were, I would have made room for them."'
Today, many enjoy homes with rooms for eating, sleeping, playing, sewing and TV, "but no room for Christ," he said. While many desire to make room in their hearts for the Savior, "no matter how successful we have been thus far. ... I am confident we would all wish to do better." This Christmas season is the time to do so, he said. - Deseret News, Monday, December 8, 2008
It was a wonderful evening -except for the part where we got stuck in a parking garage for 45 minutes :( but we had a good time visiting. An added perk was seeing all the temple square lights turn on at once - at exactly the stroke of 5:30, they all went on. Quite a sight! The whole evening was another touching reminder for me to remember Jesus Christ and to do some good.
7 comments:
How great to get to go there. I DVR'd it and can't wait to watch. The lights look so gorgeous. And last night was so warm and nice. We hope to go to the lights on the 29th. Hope it isn't too cold then.
Cool you got to go. We watched it on the telly.
These are awesome traditions! And that 3rd picture down is gorgeous, did you take that?!
It was a great experience to see the devotional live. The church does things up right. Thanks for the write-up of the event.
We watched the devotional for FHE last night. It really was inspiring. I am loving your traditions!
Was that the first night the lights went up? Not Thanksgiving weekend? Or did you just see them go on for the night? I'm imressed with all your service- you have really gotten into the true meaning of Christmas. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
The devotional was good, at least the parts I heard over these girls, and I'm glad you got to see it in person.
Post a Comment