Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas traditions - #12


Let's PARTY!!!


Christmas just wouldn't be complete without attending a bunch of Christmas parties. Each year we have the tradition of attending several parties and this year has been no exception. Here are the ones we've attended so far:


Rick & I - his office dinner party with the big group (highlight - winning a $20 gift certificate to Los Hermanos)

Rick - his small group dinner office party (highlight - receiving an icecream accessory gift in the gift exchange)

Vonnie- my lunch office party with the big group in the new Gordon B. Hinckley building (highlight - receiving a nice, leather bound copy of the hymn book from the 1st presidency)

Vonnie - my lunch small group office party (highlight - making a contribution with the group to the Women's and Children's crisis center instead of exchanging gifts)

Rick & I - attending the SCERA breakfast party (highlight listening to various people share their favorite Christmas memories - my favorite was a man about the age of dad (G. Seastrand) who told about the first Christmas he came home after being away in the Pacific during WWII. It was very touching.)

Rick & I - attending the Cleofon (ladies group) dinner in the 2-3 million dollar home of one the members (highlight - the entertainment was great.)

Rick & I - attending the MTC Christmas dinner for the branch presidents and their wives (highlight - listening to Elder Hinckley and Elder Perry give talks at the end. The shrimp cocktail wasn't bad either.)
And what do all these Christmas parties have in common???

They all served food - and lots of it. How do you deal with all of the good food that is around at Christmas time? One year I gained 7 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years day. I vowed not to do that again this year, so I've tried the following strategies:
1. Eat, don't drink calories. Water only.
2. Exercise every day - M,W,F @ Curves and walking for an hour T & Th with Patsy
3. Don't eat as much at other meals on days when there is a party
4. Don't eat huge amounts. Try all my favorite things, but watch the amounts.
So far, so good. What strategies to you use?

4 comments:

Kylee said...

Wow that's a lot of parties! How fun. I like your strategies on how to not gain a ton of weight during the holidays, I'll have to use those since I don't have any strategies of my own yet....

VFR said...

Just go to the parties, eat all you want to, and then stay with your exercise regimen. There have been a lot of good parties, for sure.

Jord said...

Yikes....I don't know. I agree with Dad, just eat what you want and work it off later. :)

Lee said...

Last year I did so good to maintain between Thanksgiving and Christmas- my troubles came after that when I put on 10 pounds in a month. Jeez. Still working on getting it off. All your strategies are good. I try to follow them as well. That is a lot of parties to attend. We've had years like that, and it's fun!