I love the Christmas creche. I love what it symbolizes and I love seeing how different cultures and countries create their own art to represent the moment when Christ was born.
I began collecting creches many years ago and now I have a wonderful collection. It is one of the few things I "collect" and I love getting each one out at Christmas time. I decided some years ago to only display this collection in our living room, leaving all the Santa decorations for the family room. The display has created a wonderful environment in the living room and I enjoy just sitting there, relaxing and pondering - while listening to beautiful Christmas music. Here is a little tour through my collection. If it came from somewhere special, it is noted:
Top of curio cabinet - from Hawaii (given by Colleen)
Top shelf - from Peru (given by the Mejia family)
Middle shelf - from Mexico & New Mexico (from Claire) & nut carving from Florida (Victoria)
Bottom shelf - store bought

I made this set when we were first married. We did it in Homemaking meeting over several months. We cleaned the green ware, glazed it and fired it. The little sheep with the broken leg has been on MANY adventures (inside family joke...) The creche use to be housed in a wooden stable which fell apart last year. I'm looking for another one.

Under our tree I have a native American set from New Mexico (far left), a Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus from Portugal (from Dave), a complete set from Zimbabwe (from Dustin) and a complete set from Venezuela (from Jord.)

I have various sets here and there and a few that are kid friendly so that the little ones can have fun playing with them and telling the story of what happened on Christmas all by themselves.

Jordan made me this wonderful stitched wall hanging a couple years ago (with the pattern provided by Lee.) I LOVE it! It looks great on the wall in the living room.

On the mantle I have Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus sets from the following people/places: etched glass made by Janet and Dave, olive wood carving from Israel, ceramic set from Venezuela (from Jord), and two store bought ones give from neighbors. Over the mantle is a beautiful copy of a painting by J. B. (a ward member and family friend.)

I bought this large set one year from Costco and I have really enjoyed it. One year R accidentally bumped into it when it was sitting in a different location and sent the Baby Jesus flying across the floor, breaking it into many pieces. We were able to glue them back together and "resurrect" the baby Jesus. He lives on to this very day!

I started collecting the pieces to this Willow Tree set several years ago. I recently got the wooden manger to add to it and completed the set. It's also one of my favorites.

This is a little curio shelf that belonged to Rick's Gram. One the top is a small set from Portugal (from Dave), second down is a very nice set from Peru (from Margie), a set from Japan (from Susan), a complete clay set (from Colleen), and a set I made with YW years ago, by a little pillow made by Lee.

I hope some day to get a set from Argentina and one from Mongolia. A Lladro piece from Spain would also be very nice. I enjoy my Christmas Creche display very much at Christmas time!
4 comments:
I just took a self-guided tour of the nativity sets in the front room, and I am impressed with them, and with what they represent. It is so great to have a room that is dedicated to Christmas decorations honoring the Savior, without any Santa Claus clutter. Thanks for keeping Christmas, Vonnie.
You do have a good collection Mom and have helped me start one of my own. Lauren's favorite thing has been getting out and playing with the "nativities" this year.
I remember when R broke the baby Jesus on one of his first trips to the house! Also enjoyed sticking the little glass lamb in Dave's backback many days. Your collection is the best!
That is a great collection! I love my many nativities as well. It's extra cool to have them from different countries you've visited or a family member has brought you.
Post a Comment