Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter blahs

Well, it's over. The trees are down, the decorations are mostly put away. The family has departed and we've back to our regular routine. I guess that's a good thing. It would be exhausting to stay in holiday mode for too long. All those late nights, constant activity and rich food take a toll! We loved having our family come home for the holidays. There is nothing better, but now it's the long, dark, cold months of winter ahead, at least for a couple of months. One piece of good news - I didn't gain any weight...all that hustling and moving around must have compensated for not exercising for two weeks and for eating more than I usually do. One piece of bad news... it's -40 degrees in Mongolia today. Poor Elder Andy.

What to you do to keep busy and not suffer from the blues during the winter? Here are some ideas I came across that I thought were really good:

10 Quick Tips to Overcome the winter blahs

With just a little effort, you can turn your free time during winter into something new and exciting. Ten things you might try:

  1. Exercise. Get your blood pumping and get a better attitude about everything with daily exercise. It can improve your body and your mind. Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay fit.
  2. Read some good books. Take time to read. Do a cross-word puzzle. They keep your mind working.
  3. Find a new hobby. Try something different. If you are a gardener, plan your summer garden.
  4. Socialize. Don=t hibernate. Force yourself to go out either with friends or to meet others.
  5. Color your home with flowers. Start plants inside. Daffodils, tulips and hyacinths start well in the house. If you don=t have a green thumb, buy some pretty plants or flowers for your house.
  6. Soak up some rays. Let the sun shine on you for at least 15 minutes a day. Many people are affected by the lack of sun and daylight during the winter months.
  7. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Henry David Thoreau said it, said it best, and it still works. Take time now to bring order to your life. Reorganize and clean out closets, dresser drawers and desks. Shred documents you no longer need. Give things away to charity.
  8. Watch what you eat. People tend to gain weight during winter. Avoid heavy pastas and soups. Try comforting beans, lentils and other tasty legumes instead. They make hearty meals without heavy calories.
  9. Take up a winter sport. Head over to a public skating rink, sled hill or cross country trail and embrace the weather. Keep physically active.
  10. Get those indoor projects done. Look around and see what indoor projects you can to work on. It could be as simple as fixing a light fixture or as involved as painting a room. You=ll feel better when you cross a long-needed project off your to-do list.

4 comments:

Vonnie said...

There are some people who like the Christmas season, enjoy the festivities, and still like when it's over and things get back to normal. Count me as one of those.
Good post, Vonnie.

Vonnie said...

Uh-oh. Last post by vfr, not vonnie.

Lee said...

I definately feel the winter blues, and was in a real funk for a day and 1/2 after Ky and Brody left. It's so hard to get back into "normal" life. I'm amazed too that I only gained 4 ounces in a three week period- wow- how that happened I'll never know. I was working out however, and I know I was on the go all day everyday too.

Kylee said...

That's a great tip list! Although I won't be needing it this year since it's 70 degrees out!! This is SO weird.