Monday, January 18, 2010

This & that

Fondue is staging a comeback! Remember fondue from the 70s? Well, it's back and a younger generation is getting on board, enjoying the good taste and fun of a fondue party. For New Year's eve, we were invited to Jake's parents home for dinner. Barbara and John had prepared a wonderful fondue party with cheese sauce and various dipping items, and then dessert with chocolate sauce with lots of different things to dip in the hot sauces. I bought my own fondue pot after that party and we enjoyed fondue when the Smiths came to town a few weeks ago. It's a fun way to party, eat and enjoy visiting, just like in the good old days. I know I've mentioned it before, but we love the families our kids married into. They are such great people and we always enjoy spending time with them. That way we can both enjoy our kids at the same time. What a concept!





Dave and Courtney gave me these cool candles for Christmas. I don't know if you dear readers have seen them in stores yet. They are battery operated candles! Why didn't I think of that? They are wax on the outside with a battery operated wick and candle on the inside that looks exactly like a real burning candle. We first saw them in a friend's home out of state and I've wanted some ever since. Yes, I'm afraid I did covet them. No fire hazards with these babies, and they look so real and add a lot of ambiance to a room! I love them!



When we were on our cruise to Alaska during the summer, we saw these great Russian BYU stacking dolls in a shop. They had them for many of the major sports teams. We asked if they had them for college teams and they said they did, but since it was at the end of the summer, they were sold out of the BYU ones. They asked us if we would like to order some, so we gave them our email address and told them to contact us if they got some more BYU stacking dolls. Well, in November, a woman emailed to say that they had a set and asked if we wanted them. Of course we did! We ordered them and they came a few weeks later. Rick LOVES them and so do I. They add to our BYU memorabilia. They've even got the names, skin color and facial features correct. Wow, what a keepsake! They go along with our National Championship team signature football, our alumni registry book and the other fine items we've collected through the years.



When Jord and Jake were here for the Christmas holiday, we went to the Mt. Timpanogos temple on one clear, very cold day. Unfortunately, it was on New Year's eve and we got there a little late, just as they were closing early for the holiday. We went to Tai Pan instead. Does that still count???



I can't help but give one more shout out to our new DARLING little granddaughters Skippy and Ada. We miss them so much, but we loved having them visit. We can't wait until they come back again for Andy's welcome home in March! Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

We've had a "this and that" kind of day since we were both off work for the MLK holiday. Got up late. Went walking at the Rec Center. Went to pick up Rick's cousin Brian Pingr** for lunch. We took him to In and Out to eat. He loved it. It was his first time. We enjoyed visiting with Bri. His autistic mind is a marvel and he does so well given his limitations. He's a good man. He just celebrated his 35 birthday. He lives in a group home and is going very well. We came home and took at nap. I think we are STILL dragging from those vaccinations. Read some. Made dinner. Talked to cousin Rebecca on the phone. Yes, she is the one who turned my name into the committee who organizes BYU women's conf, on the suggestion of my sister Mary Ann. Made a mental note to pay them back some day. Went walking with Dara. Had Rick's parents over for taco salad, rolls, and homemade ice cream. Went to SCERA to attend "A Night of Broadway" show with them. Very good program. Blogging now and then to bed. A good day.

9 comments:

VFR said...

Good thoughts, Vonnie, on a number of items. Fondue is still groovy. The stacking football dolls are tight. It would be nice to count being at the temple as going through the temple, but it probably doesn't. And, our granddaughters are the cutest ever. But you're the cutest ever, for sure.

Lee said...

I'm behind a few posts of yours, so I hope I can remember everything I wanted to comment about! Love the fondue idea. I want one. Did you buy more than one? LOVE the BYU stacking dolls. I want some. And I covet your fireless candles! So cool. Did they get you those w/o any hints from you? I want to see Stomp too. I've heard it's amazing. I'll have to check and see if/when it's coming to Logan. Glad you had a nice day off yesterday. Oh, and that's a lot of shots you guys have had. But worth it, right?

Eileen said...

What a lovely life you lead.

Joyce Anne said...

Vonnie....Check www.qvc.com....They have about a billion or a bunch of those flameless candles. I especially love the ones that are on a timer. They go on at the same time each day and turn off 5 hours later. Perfect for a candle that you want to tuck back in a shelf or add to an arrangement of some kind. My favorite trick is to put them in a wal-mart special hurricane type vase. Then add small decorations in the vase to fill up the space between the glass and candle. I have used conversation hearts for Valentines Day, jelly beans for Easter and many different colors of holiday M & M's. For Christmas I even used some tiny glass ornaments.
These candles are one of my all time favorite decorating items.

Jamie Jo said...

Have you heard of The Melting Pot? It's a fondue resteraunt in SLC. Ryan and I went there on our 1st anniversary. It was sooooo yummy. First was a cheese course as an appetizer, then a yummy broth and a bunch of meats and sauces. Then the chocolate finale. Of course, for the 2 of us it was a whopping $100!!!! Worth it-yes, but maybe only once every 10 years. Hmm. Maybe 8, then I can get him to take me this year! I actually have a little fondue pot I got for Christmas a few years ago, but I haven't ever used it because I need some sort of strange canned heat maker. I don't know what they mean, or where to find it.

Annie said...

Trace and I used to fondue venison in the 70's. Not a good idea then. Not a good idea now. But chocolate? That is timeless.

Claire said...

Except, too bad a small person broke one of the BYU Russian dolls. I won't say who.

Jord said...

The fondue was fun and I'm glad we can do shared family events. It sounds like you've had a good January with fun to come.

Jord said...

Oh, and sorry about the broken doll. The perils of having grandchildren...