Monday, August 3, 2009

The valley of the cache




Tuesday - Rick and I attended the wedding dinner at the Joseph Smith building in SLC of Camille W. one of my former student employees. She is such a great young lady and she finally found a great young man. Hip-hip-hooray for Camille! Rick drove me to met Carol, Mom and Taylor at the Layton mall afterward and we headed to the valley of the cache. Enjoyed visiting in route.

Wednesday - got up late. Went on a walk with Mom. She now lives in the same town where she grew up. She's come full circle. We walked past her childhood home, school and church. I love to hear her memories. I later walked past Jamie's house to visit - no one home. Visited with David. Went shopping for something special to give to Carol. Went over to Carol's house and made apricot jam. Stopped at Macey's to get a few things and saw Jamie. Enjoyed a lovely meal on the patio back at Mom and David's home. Carol and I went to the Utah Festival Opera with Mom and David and attended an evening program entitled: An Evening of Rodgers and Hammerstein Classics with the best selections from the King and I, Carousel, South Pacific, The Sound of Music and Oklahoma. Amazing. Loved the music. Saw Rick's Uncle John and Aunt Cherie. Not one sour note sung by the soloists and the orchestra was so professional. Saw cousin Scott F. and his girlfriend Carol. Visited with them eating Aggie ice cream afterward with Mom and David, Nancy and brother Gary, the managing director of UFO.

Thursday - got up late. Started reading ESCAPE about a woman who escaped with her 8 children from the FLDS culture. Hooked immediately. Also reading Harry Potter volume 7. Never tried reading two books at the same time, but since they're so different from one another, it's working out quite well. Met all my sisters with Mom at IHOP for breakfast. Returned to Mom's for visiting and a family meeting. Went shopping at Old Navy with Claire's friends & family 30% off coupon with Carol, Taylor and Janet. All got some good deals. We saved $130 between us.... Enjoyed hamburgers on the grill with Janet, Carol and family, Mom and David. Games afterwards. Spent the night at Carol's home in her guest room. Walked for about four miles with Carol and Janet and had a great chat at dusk.

Friday - walked with Carol and chatted. Went and picked up Mom and Janet and went to visit Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Bill. Continued on to visit Uncle Clair and Aunt Marilyn (who were headed out the door and couldn't visit long.) Edna and Rex not home. Visited Aunt Lorna. Ate lunch at the new Beehive Grill. Took Mom and Carol back to the families and Janet and I returned to visit Uncle Rex and Aunt Edna. We had lovely visits with all the relatives and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Learned much about our cousins and what they are doing. I love my aunts and uncles and enjoyed visiting with them. All of us enjoyed a LOVELY dinner at Carol's. Recipes to follow. Rick came from SLC where he was attending a day conference and he devoured Carol's food as well. Carol, Jan, Rick and I headed to Utah Festival Opera to learn our duties so that we could man the refreshment booth at intermission. Attended Camelot and loved it. More on that later. Headed back to Mom and David's to sleep. Janet to Carol's home.

Saturday - walked around Mom's old stomping grounds again. Rick ran up and down the "bear guts hill" two times. Mom and David live in a lovely town. Uncle Clair and Aunt Marilyn came over to visit more since we didn't get to visit with them on Friday. Enjoy a good long visit. Ran and got an Arby's sandwich before heading back to UFO to attend the matinee production of Carmen. Loved it. It's our 5th year attending a serious opera production. Some we have like better than others. This was a good one. The music was superb and easily recognizable. Saw Rick's Aunt Anne and Uncle George. Said goodbye to Gary and wished him well. Said goodbye to Mom and David. Appreciated their hospitality and love. Headed home. Stopped by to visit Dave and Courtney. Got home in time for bed. A great time was had by all, especially me. It was an easy going vacation which I thoroughly enjoyed! I love Cache Valley and I'm not alone. It's high on culture and low on stress and a great place to live the simple life.

7 comments:

VFR said...

It's great you got some good quality time with family in the Cache Valley, Vonnie. Nice report.

Claire said...

Next thing you know, Harry will be marrying both Hermoine and Ginny and moving to northern AZ. Also, the poly woman will go back in time using the special time-moving necklace and forget she ever joined the colony. See, they can be confusing!

Claire said...

P.S. I heart the Valley too.

Eileen said...

We call it God's Country. And quit blabbin' about it! Everyone will want to move here. :)

Next time, save me a few minutes.

That was a lovely post.

Jord said...

What a fun trip Mom. I am glad you could relax and visit and just enjoy your family. I read Escape for book club last year too...a very interesting one. It sounds like a great trip and one that you should definitely do again.

Lee said...

Wow! What a recap. I'm sad I missed most of the fun and visiting. I'm glad it was so fun although none too relaxing!

p.s. claire's comment made me laugh outloud! Funny girl

Jamie Jo said...

I'm glad I saw you at Macey's. Sorry I couldn't see you more. Next time.