We saw the Utah Festival Opera production of Camelot. It was very, very well done. The costumes and sets were from Broadway evidently and were on loan to the UFO. The singing was very good, but it's the story that really grabs me. Did Camelot actually exist? See this site.
I remember seeing this old movie musical back in 1967. See this link to watch a trailer. It starred Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero. I remember feeling so forlorn for King Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot. What if one woman truly loved two men and that love was the downfall of them all?
Arthur realizes that there is something going on between Lancelot and Guinevere, but out of love for them both, does nothing, instead banishing every knight who accuses them. Out of jealousy and hate Mordred brings down the fellowship of the Round Table by stirring up trouble. He organizes the return of all the banished knights and convinces Arthur to stay out all night hunting in order to test the loyalty of Lancelot and Guenevere.
Arthur does so unwillingly, and Mordred sees to it that Lancelot and Guenevere are caught during a final tryst. Lancelot escapes, but Guenevere is sentenced to die at the stake. Arthur, who has promoted the rule of law throughout the story, is now bound by his own law; he can make no special exceptions for the Queen and/or his own wife. In a climactic scene, Lancelot, who returns to save her, to the delight of Arthur, rescues Guinevere at the stake. In the film’s final scene, we return to the opening. Arthur is preparing to battle against Lancelot, at the insistence of his knights who want revenge. He is visited one last time by Guinevere, who has now joined a convent, and Lancelot. Arthur forgives them both and bids them a heartfelt farewell. Despite the fact that he and Lancelot are still friends, Arthur is obligated to fight because of the other knights' lust for revenge.
Prior to the battle, however, Arthur stumbles across a young boy named Tom, who wishes to become a Knight of the Round Table. Arthur is skeptical at first, but Tom espouses his commitment to Arthur's original ideal of "Not might makes right, but might for right." Arthur realizes that, although most of his plans have fallen through, the ideals of Camelot still live on in this simple boy. Arthur knights Tom and gives him his orders—to run behind the lines and survive the battle, so he can tell future generations about the legend of Camelot. Watching Tom leave, Arthur regains his hope for the future.Then the movie First Knight came out about 15 years ago. It wasn't a musical but I loved that movie based on the story of Camelot. Still do. We recently saw it again on DVD with Rick's parents. They had never watched it a
nd they really enjoyed it. So
here's the thing, what is it about the story that grabs me? It's the themes of love, revenge, trying to stay true to high ideals, fightingfor something or someone else, giving up something you want now for something more that you want later, loyalty, duty, courage. It's just a great, complicated story with no easy answers and it's not hard to watch Richard Gere and Sean Connery.
5 comments:
I think that Julia Ormond is much better looking than Richie Gere and Sean Connery combined, but that's just me.
vfr, not vonnie
I love Camelot!!! The movie is one of my fave's. I love the songs. I had wanted to see the play so bad. Love First Knight too. I think it is so interesting that Pres. Featherstone quoted from Camelot a lot during mine and Ryan's sealing.
I'm crazy about Camelot! I first saw the movie in college, and was mesmerized with it. I'm going to rent it and watch it again as I haven't for probably 15 years. First Knight is a fav too.
I agree with VFR and was glad to see her in the Ben Button movie. Also, the kiss in that movie is by far the best movie kiss of ALL TIME! I want to watch it again just for that.
Interesting how everyone remembers in detail the first time they saw Camelot. I saw it in Orem at a big white building. It would have been 1969 because I was pregnant with my first child. I had the same feelings as you Vonnie. I sobbed for days. It felt like my heart was breaking for three people who loved each other so much. The funny thing was that after a few weeks (seriously)when I had my tears under control, I purchased the Camelot Album (big black vinyl disc) and started the whole sobbing process again. Jim would come from class and ask me why I continued to do that to myself. I love Camelot so much.
I have the sound track on my I-Touch. Kind of sad and pathetic isn't it?
Post a Comment