It's a stretch I realize now, but don't dispute the reasoning of a little kid.
Years passed. I still had trouble telling the difference between the two. I surmised that staying at a motel usually meant that you could enter the room from the parking lot and hotel usually meant that you had to go through a lobby and enter your room from inside the building. Since we were usually more interested in cramming lots of people into one room on trips to save money, we opted for the motel version so that we could enter discretely from the parking lot along with our sleeping bags and foam pads and not fall under the watchful eye of the front desk staff member.
I've finally come to a definite conclusion. I can now tell the two apart. It has to do with the way the toilet paper is presented. If it is folded in a nice sharp point, you can rest assured that you are staying in a hotel. It costs A LOT of money to fold toilet paper into the crisp sharp point you see when you enter the bathroom. The fancier the toilet paper presentation, the fancier the price, which usually means that you are indeed staying in a hotel my friend. If it has a toilet paper shield like the one shown here (kind of like its own coat of arms) well, just get out your charge card because you are in for a whopper of a bill. On the other hand, if the toilet paper is just hanging there all blunt and sad like, well you know that the blunt edge of the toilet paper means you are staying in a motel and not a very good one at that. You have a way to go up the chain before you reach the realm of the pointed toilet paper hotel (or occasionally the nice motel room.) We've stayed in them all over the years, the blunt-edge-recycled-off-color-harsh-scratchy-toilet paper rooms to the easy-to-grab-causing-no-delays-pointed-toilet paper that feels like a fluffy wash cloth when applied.
Case in point -(pun intended)

My columnist friend Ann Cannon agrees.
(Check out the comments at the end of her column, they're pretty funny too.)
And...in in case you need vodka, tequila, rum or vine in your room, or some organic blueberry gummy panda snacks, you need look no further than here. It even includes hangover pills, an intimacy kit, snacks & beverages all f
or 500% over cost. The bottle of water - $5.00 for 8 oz. Another sign that you aren't in Kansas any more and that you are definitely in a hotel.
So, take a look below... which is it? Hotel or motel? Here's a clue - It's all in the toilet paper!


(Check out the comments at the end of her column, they're pretty funny too.)
And...in in case you need vodka, tequila, rum or vine in your room, or some organic blueberry gummy panda snacks, you need look no further than here. It even includes hangover pills, an intimacy kit, snacks & beverages all f
or 500% over cost. The bottle of water - $5.00 for 8 oz. Another sign that you aren't in Kansas any more and that you are definitely in a hotel.So, take a look below... which is it? Hotel or motel? Here's a clue - It's all in the toilet paper!


6 comments:
Ha ha. Alcatraz. Ha ha.
You're funny!
That's pretty funny, I did always think that was weird, especially when YOU'RE family is the one that used the bathroom last. It's one thing to do that for new guests, but for ones that have already been there for a few nights.... I don't get it.
I like the place in inverse proportion to what it costs - the less it costs, the better I like it, unless, of course, someone else is paying for the room. I wouldn't like to stay at Alcatraz, however.
True dat Mother. I have to say that staying in nice comped motels on the company also make it almost impossible to return to a motel again!
Very funny!!! I worked briefly at the Cottonwood in Provo when I was at the Y, and use to fold those toilet papers. I have stayed at some nice hotels, and some scary motels. I remember driving from Texas to Rupert once and Mom telling us not to kneel to say our prayers that night because the carpet was so scary. She would call the scary places a "Bates Motel"
Post a Comment